Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Top-down design vs. Bottom-up design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmad_abdulghany

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Regarding the Top-down design vs. Bottom-up design, i made this topic..

I just wanted to discuss the advantages/disadvantages and differnece(s) between them?
Which one is more preferable in digital design and analog design?

Please participate,
Regards,
Ahmad,

usually Top-down is better in any big circuit (even with some small circuits) ,
for instance u can check the right connectivity of the system ( this is very helpful in digital) also u can check the ideal system operation , and intoduce ur design parameters to check whether it performs the right functionality , plus it saves tons of times if u have behaviour models for the system (done in top-down) which will alllow u to check some long simulations in small time and even predict the place of the error (if any) easily and in noticable time difference

I am designing RF receivers, and I've never seen a bottom-up design. Before designing, you have to define the performance of each block, so you can make sure the whole chip works.

Neither - Nor

You can specify on the NEXT level what you want. If if does not lead to an efficient implementation it will not work. At least, if you oversee some critical effect because you have a unexperienced team, after silicon out.

So get familiar what work at bottom, or the NEXT lower level, unless you start at the NEXT higher level.

Working in levels is present every time and is some kind of work efficiency gain. The links between the levels is the critical KnowHow. In both directions: BottomUp and TopDown.

I did not share the view of topdown designers defining e.g. blocking specs which require years of search give entry to a mine field of patents to do it efficient in silicon.

Or look at the peoples which say everything should go digital: Blame

They could not tell you if the channel filtering is digital what are the +sample rate and +number of bits for the ADC, do not think of the ADC power and so on.

They tell you that "buzzword" w/o the background what a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back