Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Triac fan speed control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gladis

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
triac fan speed

Hi all,
How to control speed of a fan (230V) using logic level sensitive triac BT136D with a PIC uC (16F72).

Well familiar with PIC
Using CCS Compiler

Just Ideas are enough (Coding is not an issue)

Thanks in advance
Gladis

triac speed control

Hello

You can use an gate control usng an moc 3020.

You just need to detect zero cross and control the angle of firirng the semiconductor.

if you chosse an angle of 180 degres you will have 0 v on charge a long you decreasse the angle the tensio goes Up .

An better solution if use an pwm control and 4 igbt and define the frequancy that you want your fan runs, its more expensive but the result are best.

One way or other I recomend you to read some electronis power books.

Then you should easy to understand.

Regards

fan speed control using triac

Hi Ave_Rapina
Thanks for ur post

I am already using a circuit using BT136D and i cannot change it. So using MOC is not practical for me and also using IGBTs is also not good for me. Then using PWM is OK but how???
I am using the same circuit for a bulb and i can turn it ON anf OFF. But when i am connecting a FAN it is not getting the full speed even if a Bulb glows fully....... FAN is turning very very slowly. Any idea?????
Thanks & Regards
Gladis

triac fan speed control

Hello

That problem maybe the power of the fan.

If the current is less that the I lacthing of the triac the semiconductor dont enter in coduction.

Other problem is the power factor of the fan.
If is to inductive when you fire at an angle prox of 0 the other part of the semiconductor cannot be fired becouse the corrent in the moment is not zero and the other simiconductor is working.
To solve this you can control the angle or just simply continuing firing the gate until conductor can be able to work.
If you sfire with an angle of 0 dregress the circuit becomes an rectifier an not an Ca/Ca Circuit.

Regards

fan triac

Hi!
See this application note by Microchip, i think it will be useful for you.

AN958: Low-Cost Electric Range Control using a TRIAC(www.microchip.com).

Regards.

triac fan controller

Read this:

**broken link removed**
https://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/an/6785.pdf
BT136 will work in all quadrants, just give it enough current. Trigger with series of short pulses from desired angle of conduction all the way till voltage crosses zero. Design proper snubber according to AN above.

triac fan control

Maybe Microchip Microchip application notes
PICREF-4 - PICDIM Lamp Dimmer for the PIC12C508
AN599 - Energy Management Control System
Will help you

**broken link removed**

control speed of fan using triac

hai
you can use PIC Comparator interrupt for Zero crossing detection.
if your mains frequncy is 50hz ,half cycle= 5ms
in interrupt rutine ... idle 2.5ms and tigger Triac... now you can get half speed fan

now i am useing this prodect with 16f676

regards Latheef (sorry my bad English)

triac speed control circuit

Hi all,
Thanks for ur suggessions. Let me try all these methods suggested by u and study of PDF documents suggested by sinsina is also essential. I ll make my feedback ASAP
Regards
Gladis

Status
Not open for further replies.