Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscillator 100MHz and two layers board

Status
Not open for further replies.

damian_s

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I want to design a system using FPGA connected to an oscillator which has frequency 100MHz.

Is it possible to design a system using 100MHz oscillator frequency in two layers board?

Thanks.

If you are intending to use FPGA, so why do you need 100MHz???
You may use oscillator with less frequency to drive FPGA then you may use the internall PLL of the FPGA in order to produce any clock rate.

by low frequencies you may get best results considering EMI aspects.

Starting from a higher clean frequency can help a PLL for a smaller output jitter.
On two layer board the only way is grounded coplanar lines. But the frequency is still small for this tehnique.:D
You need a continous ground plane one one layer and a signal route surrounded by ground plane on the other layer.
Both ground planes must be connected with small vias (as many vias near the 100Mhz clock line on both sides of the signal line, as better).

On FR4 this works great up to 5Ghz.
52_1169922141.JPG

damian_s

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
melc said:
Starting from a higher clean frequency can help a PLL for a smaller output jitter.
On two layer board the only way is grounded coplanar lines. But the frequency is still small for this tehnique.:D
You need a continous ground plane one one layer and a signal route surrounded by ground plane on the other layer.
Both ground planes must be connected with small vias (as many vias near the 100Mhz clock line on both sides of the signal line, as better).

On FR4 this works great up to 5Ghz.quote]

coooooooooooooooooooooool
what is this applications?
From here I may download it???

Thank you for your reply.

If you are intending to use FPGA, so why do you need 100MHz???
You may use oscillator with less frequency to drive FPGA then you may use the internall PLL of the FPGA in order to produce any clock rate.

Khaila, yes, I can use PLL to get my FPGA driven by high clock rate. From the specification I've got, there are different oscillator frequencies I can use and the highest is 100 MHz. I just want to know if there is anybody have an experience in implementing 100 MHz clock rate in two layers board.

Melc, thanks for the advice.

khaila said:
melc said:

On FR4 this works great up to 5Ghz.quote]

coooooooooooooooooooooool
what is this applications?
From here I may download it???

Unfortunately it's a subrutine of microwave office, it won't work without the whole program which is copyleft, sorry.
But good news for you:D

https://www.skottanselektronik.com/ and click on impedance

melc codobelc

You don't *really* need to use transmission line type stuff for 100Mhz if you keep everything small. I've done a 100MHz VCO & PLL on standard double-sided FR4 with no problem. Just don't make long lines.

You don't *really* need to use transmission line type stuff for 100Mhz if you keep everything small. I've done a 100MHz VCO & PLL on standard double-sided FR4 with no problem. Just don't make long lines.

lladnar23,

Is 8 mil trace in standard FR4 board small enough? And could you be more specific about "don't make long lines", I mean how long is to long for a line?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back