Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the input and the output of LATCH and its effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khaila

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In Verilog/VHDL if we will not denote all the combination of Asynchrinous process such as MUX, CASE, FSM... so it will produce LATCH.
my quastions:

1. What is the input and the outputs of the LATCH?
2. If LATCH is already produced so what its effect?

Producing LATCH

A latch is only a primitive memory element. It is transparent under certain conditions and this can cause problems for designers who don't fully appreciate the limited functionality of the latch. Making sure your code produces real flip flops is considered good design practice.

Producing LATCH

Hi,
there is no differnece in inputs and outputs oa latch and FLIP FLOP.
the difference is only how they work
as far as effect of latch is concerened...it will behave accordingly

Re: Producing LATCH

Sorry ppl, but my quastion was not about the differents between LATCH and FF.

I was about the cases where a LATCH is prdoced during uncovered all the combination of Asynchrinous process such as MUX, CASE, FSM

my quastions:

1. Where the LATCH is located/genrated? What is the input and the outputs of the LATCH?
2. Supposed 4:1 MUX statement while in the VERILOG we consider ONLY THREE conditions. whats happend exactlly with the FOURTH conditon? how it treated??? If LATCH is already produced so what its effect?

A latch can be produced like:
Code:
module latch (en, d, q); 
          if (en == 1'b1)  
              q <= d; 
endmodule

This is not a real Verilog module, it's just to show you. As you can see, you have only told the system what you want to happen when en is 1. You haven't told the system what to do when en is 0, or when clock is is rising or when reset is falling, etc. So the synthesizer or simulator can only produce a simple latch with this information.

khaila

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

gliss said:
A latch can be produced like:
Code:
module latch (en, d, q); 
          if (en == 1'b1)  
              q <= d; 
endmodule

This is not a real Verilog module, it's just to show you. As you can see, you have only told the system what you want to happen when en is 1. You haven't told the system what to do when en is 0, or when clock is is rising or when reset is falling, etc. So the synthesizer or simulator can only produce a simple latch with this information.

Please correct me!
It means that the MACHINE will remeber always the recent state.
That recent state is unwanted/unexpected so maybe something wrong with the next state if the input is changed because it will not success to decode the next-state.

right?

Producing LATCH

That's right, you don't want latches in state machines.

khaila

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back