Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regulated power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul.6sept

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to design a regulated power supply using transistor capable of providing 5 volts at 1 A.What should be the parameters for the same?

Hmm.. Why do you want to use a transistor?? This specs is exactly met by the 7805 chip.. Use one.. It provides upto 1Amp at +5V and you can use 7905 if you want -5 V

I know that 7805 can be used for this purpose, but i need to design using transistor.Please tell me how to do this.

One option to generate 5V is to use 5.6V zener diode and NPN transistor ..
Here:
**broken link removed**
you will find detailed description of this simple voltage regulator ..

Regards,
IanP

Why dont u use LM317 in fixed resistance configuration.

It will work for your requirement

do you want to go with series regulator or parallel one?

Transistor usage is not necessary... because power transistor is bulky.. u can provide foldback , if u want to save power under short circuit stages.

depending on the load speed, the feed back system will be decided. I mean speed and bandwidth of the feedback op amp....

Status
Not open for further replies.