Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best way of driving a stepper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

proton

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends, I need your help for the following problem:
I've a stepper motor connected to a big mass , so with some inertia.
Suppose that I know that the position is at angle A and I want to move to
angle B, which is the best way of modulating the angular velocity (or if
you prefer the number of steps / sec ) ?
At the moment I'm doing like this: I calculate B - A and every K / (B - A)
ms I do a step in the direction that decreases the distance.
I'm however not satisfied of the control. Can you suggest
something more efficient ? a PID ? do you have something to suggest to read
about motor control ?
thx
proton

Assalamo Allykum !

You can't use the PID Controller for the Steper Motor.

We use PID Controller for the DC Motors. The Stepper motor is only controller by the number of steps.

Take Care

As already mentioned, it can't be done. With a stepper motor you are limited to a couple specific positions where the rotor can be stopped and held.

imho, I think it can be done dependent on inertial characteristics of object driven by stepper. According to info from internet the simplest method of driving is divide motion into 3 phases acceleration constant speed and deceleration . Yet also there are steppers with feedback with encoders where control is done in more precise way to ensure that no step is missed or keep backlash or oscillation out of mechanics. IO suppose this can be done in PID if there is sensor which provides feedback to algorithm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back