Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing Bluetooth USB Dongle with Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: bluetooth microcontroller

Do anyone know How to interface Bluetooth USB Dongle(which is easily available for PC) with Microcontrollers?
coz these Dongles r easily available n cheaper than Bluetooth module so if its possible to interface with ucs than it becomes cheaper Bluetooth embedded solution.

Hi dude i'm also doing a project based on bluetooth usb dongle.... can you suggest me how to interface bluetooth usb dongle with ATMega32 microcontroller...????:|

I'm also interested in putting bluetooth dongles in my atmega48 AVRs.
I've found a gadget website selling bluetooth dongles for $1.8. One of the customers reported his dongle to have chipset CW6621, which seems to have uart and spi (no proper datasheet found, just 'preliminary datasheet'). If we manage to contact the manufacturer Conwise (site already found) and get the uart documentation, all we would have to do is make a 'driver' (to translate UART communication into something the SPP profile would talk to) and put a implementation of the SPP profile in it (this might not be too hard if we're able to find it in our preferred programming language, such as C). Someone in this topic pointed out the bluetooth stack for Linux, and this might be very helpful as a source to a implementation of spp profile. I'm not sure if slave bluetooth devices need stacks on themselves; but if they need, we might also need to put the stack into our code. If the code gets too big, additional flash memory might be needed (probably using SD cards under MMC (SPI) mode, which seem to be easy). So, all this seem to be very feasible IF we get the proper hardware and someone with the programming skills (i'm not sure if mine ones will be enough). I guess using usb is an unnecessary hassle.
Obvious problem is I may not get the same chipset I want to. Some people complain of malfunctioning units too. But at this price I might try one or two times. If I get a working unit with unwanted chipset, I may tear apart one of my current dongles (BCM2045(uart+spi) or AS3601QC (uart+i2c)) for scientific/hobbyst purposes (and start using the one with crapy chipset one on my pc).

BTW, I've been looking at wikipedia's Bluetooth_stack#Embedded_implementations and I've seen the motorola RAZR phone, which someone mentioned in this topic, being mentioned there also. Anyway, if one of those 9 portable implementations is opensource, this might be enough to get us started for real.

There's also a list of bluetooth chipsets among which some already have the stack, in this site: [Because of a stupid rule I cant post links here until I have 2 posts, so you'll have to google for "Bluetooth semiconductors, component, single chip solutions with bluetooth stack" with those quotation marks.]
If we could find somewhere with a reliable suplier, steady stock, selling BT units for cheap and with one of these chipsets, it would be a goldmine for our projects.

Reactions: baddha

baddha

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hello.
i want to make printing out data from my pc to printer epsonc45
the conection using bluetooth
connection using embeddedblue500
( embeddedblue500 is serial communication)
between pc and printer
can help me?

Re: bluetooth+microcontroller

dear friends..
i need to send at commands to mobile(Bluetooth enabled) phone from micro controller through Bluetooth. (USB Bluetooth dongle will be better)
kindly help me..

Responding to the first post (and not messing in the branches...)

Yes it is possible to use a USB Bluetooth dongle with a microcontroller. How?
Simple, just open the dongle case, find the Bluetooth chip's datasheet, find TX/RX pins & stuff, jump them out from the USB stage, and your done! Embedded class 1 bluetooth radio at usd$9...not bad at all:smile:. You may use USB power, a 7805 voltaje regulator, or whatever you like. I made it work with a PIC18F2431.-

A few tweaks at the begining with polling stuff but possible at the end. I did it with a Class 1 so I could control my 'toy' at 80 meters with no signal problems (line-of-sight) with my treo (I developed both apps (mobile & PIC)

Re: bluetooth usb a pic

If you examine the internals of a bluetooth Dongle you may well find the Broadcom BCM2045 chip. Takes USB straight in. No USB devices to bypass. Along with Standard uart and SPi and a few discretes. What were talking about doing here is perfectly feasible since it's already been done. I believe the Motorola Krazer uses this device and I don't believe it is too PC like...But I guess I need to look into the Krazer inards a little more. I would have though it contained a somewhat powerful microcontroller at its core which in turn must drive the BCM2045. Hopping/ Pairing: I have never seen a dongle with a pairing switch that PAIRS it with an external device on its own. And the devices must SYNC their suedo-random hoppers and this is done by the PC. That is all PAIRING is, I believe. Just rf detection and getting to a common hop starting point. Once hopping starts, maybe the BCM2045 handles the hop sequence but there is definately host pc interaction to the dongle.

Added after 3 hours 4 minutes:

Just tossing the odd reality out here just for understanding purposes for those who follow this possible painful path.... One of the *possible* stumbling blocks of all this is that each bluetooth dongle manufacturer can select from different bluetooth radio devices(chips/chipsets) and when they do, the maufacturer of the bluetooth dongle provides a specific WINDOWS DRIVER for operating their device. However that said, since windows seems to be offering a generic driver that works with more than one manufacturers device, there seems to be either some commonality of interoperability between different manufacturer devices or the Windows driver is just getting FAT with all the known types out there and recognizes them when they are plugged in, since most USB devices do offer an ID transmission to the host when they are first plugged in. Ramblings of a mad man.....

hai,

The usb can be easily interfaced to the microcontroller ......then why not usb bluetooth dongle.. I think only the protocol can be a problem to interface...

(years later) :p well... guess what ... its been done have you guys seen the IOIO board for android??? well its based on a PIC and u plug in it a USB Bluetooth dongle and it works gr8 on android !!! check out https://ytai-mer.blogspot.com/2011/04/meet-ioio-io-for-android.html

the question now is can we implement that now? can we start doing something that can be used by all of us ??? or will u guys just say no and bring up a new issue???

Bringing up this old thread once again.

This was almost impossible so many years ago is it still so ? making an ordinary bluetooth dongle work with a microcontroller.

Responding to the first post (and not messing in the branches...)

Yes it is possible to use a USB Bluetooth dongle with a microcontroller. How?
Simple, just open the dongle case, find the Bluetooth chip's datasheet, find TX/RX pins & stuff, jump them out from the USB stage, and your done! Embedded class 1 bluetooth radio at usd$9...not bad at all:smile:. You may use USB power, a 7805 voltaje regulator, or whatever you like. I made it work with a PIC18F2431.-

A few tweaks at the begining with polling stuff but possible at the end. I did it with a Class 1 so I could control my 'toy' at 80 meters with no signal problems (line-of-sight) with my treo (I developed both apps (mobile & PIC)

I am very interested in this implementation of yours, this is the only post I found which says that this was done. I cracked open a blutooth dongle and searched the chip number online but unfortunately wasnt able to find a proper datasheet for it.

Please share some details about your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.