Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Write / erase cycle of a i2c eeprom

Status
Not open for further replies.

arup

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Sir,

This is in connection with Erase/write cycle of I2C serial eeprom 24CXX.
I have an ST72f264 based application which requires me to update serial eeprom(say,24c08) at every 1 sec and i have to write 16 bytes of data(Page Write).
Now the question is :
the erase/write cycle is approx 1Million cycle.
Is it true for each location or full device.Wht i mean to say is if i write single byte then erase/write cycle will be counted for that particular location only or it will be counted for full device location ??
My concern is in that case it can be used for few days only(not even 1 yr).
Pls can anybody help in(firmware technique) how to maximize the use eeprom.

regards,
arup

I guess it will be counted for that particular location only. You can test by write unuse location (1 byte for test) with 0xAA and 0x55 and write program to count write cycles. Write to EEPROM and read for compare if read not equal write. After approximately 1 Million cycles some bit in this byte my be not equal betwwen write and read.
Some bit in this byte can not go from logic 1 to logic 0

Added after 30 minutes:

You can use DS1307 RTC with I2C interface 56 bytes of user data RAM can write unlimited cycle.

The amount of writes in datasheet is per data cell (in your case byte).
And may vary by ambient temperature, power supplylevel and of cource by manufacturer. Both defects are possible (can't set to 0 and can't set to 1).

To maximize life of the flash device you must implement spread write in different loactions with invalidation of old 'sectors'. There is many techniquies and you can dig on the web about them.

check the datasheet ...typically 100000 times

Status
Not open for further replies.