Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Aluminium electrolytic capacitor - max current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usernam

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
max current from capacitor

Whats the maximum current a 100uF aluminium electrolytic capacitor can handle? I checked in the datasheet but there is no max current rating or max voltage slew rate rating given.
I've attached the datasheet below.

TIA

electrolytic app note dissipation factor

usernam,
I hate to be politically incorrect, but schetchy data sheets are quite common from Japanes manufactures. Kemet has a nice app note that allows you to determine macimum ripple current as a function of the case:
h**p://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kfbk3.nsf/vaFeedbackFAQ/D68F1B97FC4FE31385256F72006669BD/$file/Technical%20Update%20-%20Ripple%20Current%20Capabilities.pdf
I would find a Kemet case that is close to the Nichicom case that you will be using, and then use equation 5 from the app note.
Regards,
Kral

You can get that from the data sheet using these equations.Keep in mind those ratings are based on a sinusoid waveform.Rearrange and solve for Irms.

Code:
"Heat Generation

You can calculate heat generated within the capacitor from any one of three formulas:

P=2πFCV2tanδ (1)

P=Irmstanδ/2πFC (2)

P=Irms2 ESR (3)

Where:

P=Power dissipated in watts

F=Frequency of waveform

C=Capacitance in farads

V=rms voltage of waveform

tan δ=Dissipation Factor of the capacitor at frequency F

I=rms Current

ESR=Equivalent Series Resistance in ohms

When the waveform is sinusoidal, the above equations apply directly. For non-sinusoidal waveforms, you must first analyze the waveform to determine Vrms and Irms. If evaluating waveforms with harmonic content, apply the equations for each harmonic frequency for voltage or current and the loss factor tan δ at the harmonic frequency. The power for all harmonics is then summed. Also, non-sinusoidal waveforms may induce high peak currents, which may stress the termination and cause localized end heating."

Snip taken from here:
Code:
[I]**broken link removed**[/I]

And yes Kral I agree Magnetic and Cap datsheets need "standardization".

What you are searching for is reported as "ripple current" in the data sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back