Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do holes have mass if they are just vacancies created by departing electrons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vedaprabhu

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
As portrayed in pg 47 semiconductor devices by Kannan Kano can holes have mass(effective mass) if they are just vacancies created by departing electrons?

Re: Do holes have mass?

The holes have an effective mass in the lattice just as the electrons have an effective mass. The departing electrons take a finite time to move under the influence of an applied electric field. This makes the holes move with a finite time.

Do holes have mass?

holes are electrons moving in the valence band (not just vacancies)

yes holes are created by vacancies in valence band and by vacancies in conduction band....Now I know something about holes!!

We mean by effective mass that we will include all the internal force that affect the electron when it's moving inside the lattice to the mass & we will call it effective mass
so holes have mass & as the holes are electron bonded to atom, it's affected by force larger than the free electrons
& so The effective mass of holes are large than the effective mass of electrons
I hope I came to the point
best regards,
Rania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back