Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any tips on how to program a Flash device using JTAG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecube

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
JTAG Flash programming?

Any tips on how to program a Flash device using JTAG?

I'm working on a small project - the board only has a FPGA and a FLash.
I want to use JTAG port on the FPGA to control the IO ports that connect to the Flash device - from the scheme of thing - it should work. Any comments or hint before I start?

Re: JTAG Flash programming?

For starting look links from:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

what kind of fpga and flash?
fpga.com

We used tools from JTAG Technology to program a flash connected to a uP in production.
It work ok.
We added the flash write signal to the jtag connector to speed up the programming. We added also termination on the data out signal and a small RC-filter on the clock signal.

The only drawback was the price
The card and the basic software were something like $2-3000.
Then if you wanted flash programming it was a additional $1-2000 and for the configuration tool of the boundary scan loop $3-4000.

As an alternative it was possible to buy the configuration from the reseller, which we did.

I used the JTAG Lart project as a starter for flash programming through Coldfire JTAG interface...

Just search for jflash project...you can use ByteBlaster or similar 74hc244 lpt-jtag interface for this...

Jflash compiles on linux as also for Windel platfrom (o;

cable prog

the FPGA xilinx cable programming .... can any one give me the schematic ?

Re: cable prog

robinh said:
the FPGA xilinx cable programming .... can any one give me the schematic ?

Schematics ....

I think it's possible to download files to FLASH by JTAG opperation.But you have to program first.For example you must implement all JTAG instruction by this software.We have developed a software which can do JTAG normal, in addition it can program FLASH also

meaning

what means ?
do you mean say that the FPGA tool (Xilinks Found* ) does not integrate the function : program via JTAG ?

I assume not (o;

Do you have a BSDL file for your FPGA?

Then it should be fairly easy to adapt jflash to include support for it (and your flash of course).

As already mentioned above...I did it for mcf5272 and AMD flash memories (o;

lemme know if you need more help (o;

Where BSDL files can be found for AMD & Intel Flash devices ?

I need to repair a BIOS Flash chip on a PC Motherboard, which got erased by the CIH virus ....

They can be found at the manufacturers websites...

Just search for BSDL...

cheers
davorin

Flash devices BSDL files ?!?! ( Flash with JTAG ?)

Well..I meant the BDSL files for the CPU where the flash is attached to (o;

BTW: I think ST has some flash devices with on-chip periphals with JTAG programming support.

cheers
davorin

I known about ST devices with JTAG, but I newer saw it on motherboards ... :)

There are NO BIOS Flash chips with JTAG ?
I'm in deep trouble ... must de-solder the Bios chip off the motherboard ... *sigh* ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back