Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the setup and hold time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardyue

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
setup and hold time

Hi, Members,
What is the setup and hold time? How do we use it in out application? Thanks in advance.

setup hold time

The setup and hold times refer to the stability requirements on the input and output data of a synchronous circuit.

Taking a D Flipflop (DFF) as an example:

The time [before the active clock edge] after which any change in the input data could result in the FF latching the wrong value is characterized as the SETUP time of that DFF.

The time [after the active clock edge] for which the DFF output maintains its value before switching is characterized as the hold time for that DFF.

The following figure shows setup and hold times for a DFF:

https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/77_1163170391.jpg
77_1163170391_thumb.jpg

Reactions: mina_jean

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

mina_jean

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
setup time hold time

The setup and hold times refer to the stability requirements on the input and output data of a synchronous circuit.

Does it mean that there is no requirement of the setup and hold time for an asynchronous circuit?

setup and hold time definition

for design with latches, we have another set of timing parameters called recovery and removal times.

setup time and hold time

for design with latches, we have another set of timing parameters called recovery and removal times.
----------------------
we only check the reset recovery and removal.

setup and hold times

Usually we are more concerned with setup and hold times for synchronous circuits since the operation of the circuit depends on the temporal relationship of two signals (clock and input data).

Ofcourse the same general concept applies to async circuits as well since a change in input data smaller in time than the gate can see (due to input capacitance) will result in no change at the output. However, in that case we are usually more interested in minimum input signal pulse width.

what is setup and hold time

Here is good article about the timing parameters . Hope it is helpful

Attachments

• timing_1261.pdf
    47.4 KB · Views: 799
hold time setup time

Timing is really a difficult thing to understand because I have no practical experince.

setup hold timing

its just a matter of time....u need to spend a little time and analyse...once u get a hang of it u'l have no problem with timing stuff...

hold and setup time

richardyue said:
Hi, Members,
What is the setup and hold time? How do we use it in out application? Thanks in advance.
please go through this so that u will be clear

hold setup time

Nice PPT vikram carryon ...
--Satya

setup and hold time

I absolutely have no idea.

setup & hold time

Thank you guys so much! it's very very helpful!!

hold time and setup time

As the name suggests it's really simple.U needn't think in terms of timing.
Timing is really a difficult thing to understand because I have no practical experince.
Think as if u r going to market.So before leaving u need to setup(eg. Give some time to urself to think about the list of things to bring etc.Also after coming from the market u need to take a little rest.Similarly in Digital circuits it will get rest if the data is changing atleast for that much time after the clock.

setup hold time

Hey vikram....
tats an excellent ppt......all my timing concepts hav been cleared.....

setup/hold time

have a look at this pdf

Attachments

• setup1_1210.pdf
    291.8 KB · Views: 519
set up and hold time

anyone have any slides or anything that has info on common techniques to deal with skew? i've heard they try to keep the hold times negative

stup and hold time

The documents you uploaded are very useful.
Many thanks.

setup hold time

hi,

I heard somewhere that the setup check is done with the next active edge but the hold check with the current edge itself..Is it so? If yes, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back