Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I find comparators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexter_ex_2ks

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, can you tell me a book with comparators,(for an ADC...).

Thanks , and have a nice day ,
Paul.

The "Op Amp" book right on this forum, try searching.

nguyennam

u can find out in operational ampifers books....and even in pulase and digital circuits also...

A comparator is an operational amplifier without negative (reducing) feedback.

Therefore, look for a good op amp book. I'd suggest "IC Op-Amp Cookbook" via SAMS publishing.

However, in lieu of the above, just remember this:

Vo = A(Vp - Vn) --- the parentheses mean "multiply by the quantity inside"

Vo = output voltage
Vp = voltage @ non-inverting terminal
Vn = voltage @ inverting terminal
A = open loop (no feedback) gain

This equation is the key to solving comparator AND op-amp circuit problems. All a comparator does is it COMPARES its two inputs and then outputs a voltage identifying which was larger. If it was the inverting (-), then the output swings negative. If it was the non-inverting (+), then the output swngs positive.

When using the above equation, A will likely be very high, like 100,000 or higher. Plug in some numbers for Vp and/or Vn, and you will see very large voltages being output. That's ok, as the op amp wil only swing as far as it can based on what power supply voltages you're using. However, the output will always have the correct sign, either positive or negative, depending on which input was higher.

Hope the above helps a little.

you can refer any opamp based books...eg.gayakwad
or linear integrated circuits..

you could refer to piplined A/D thesis like WALTARI, ABO, SAMEER etc. they usually contain a chapter on comparators

Status
Not open for further replies.