Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tuner: NIM, half NIM or on-board. Pros and cons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShamrock

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
half nim

I am developing a digital multimedia platform and I have to insert two TV tuners in it. Actually, I have three possibilities to implement each TV tuner module: 1) to use of a daughterboard with enclosed tuner and demod (NIM); 2) to use a daughterboard with only the tuner (half NIM), whereas the demod is on the motherboard; 3) to insert both tuner and demod on the motherboard.
I am using a 4-layer motherboard and also I probably will insert a re-modulator in order to spread to other TVs (through the same antenna cable) a descrambled and decoded transport stream.
I really have a lot difficulties in gathering enough information to be in a position to do an engineering evaluation about each of the above-mentioned three possibilities. Does anyone have some suggestions for me?
I need to know pros & cons, and finally I have to do an expense's evaluation.
Thank you for helping me.

N.

tuner nim

Recently I had to put myself the same question, trying to implement a diversity receiver in a system. Finally I decided to implement a totally separate receiver, identical with the main receiver. The cost probably is a little higher, but not always. Definitely is the most robust solution, switching the receivers in the baseband.
I am using an 8 layer board, so I don’t know if you have enough room for this solution on a 4 layer board.

half-nim

With a full NIM solution you will be tied to the actual performance of that NIM with no possibility for many improvements, You will also lose access to some I/O

With 1/2 NIM you can have the whole demodulator exposed which will allow access to I/O and better thermal management in most cases. For improvements if needed you will be able to manage any AGC loops better.

:F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back