Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need simple text lcd display VHDL code

Status
Not open for further replies.
vhdl code for display

hello .. i m working on Spartan3E starter kit .. i want to connect a normal keyboard to the kit and display my input through it on to the LCD available on the system. Can anyone please help me on that with the code. . I am jus a starter with FPGA

Thank you

Dear echo47,
Thank you very much for the code snippet its working great

rgds
divya

Reactions: Aya2002

Aya2002

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi all! Do anybody have finished VHDL-programm of LCD indicated by 16*2 LCD display? Or it is still existing only with some errors, that nobody can correct?

Sorry for my broken English;)

please help me .......................
I want to check my program on FPGA(spartan 3E starter kit), please suggest me what should i use----
UART or LCD to display result.
and how to do?
please reply......

Aya2002

hi yousuf14 and others,

I am a newb to VHDL FPGA programming and i was wondering where you got the specific time requirements for moving from one state/substate to another.
For example before moving to state 5, you wait 5000 clock signals (with a 50 MHz frequency, this means you wait 0.0001 seconds?).

grtz

hi yousuf14 and others,

I am a newb to VHDL FPGA programming and i was wondering where you got the specific time requirements for moving from one state/substate to another.
For example before moving to state 5, you wait 5000 clock signals (with a 50 MHz frequency, this means you wait 0.0001 seconds?).

grtz

The timing requirements should be based on how long it takes the LCD to execute the command you just sent it, since you need to wait for it to finish before sending the next command. The maximum execution time for each command is listed in the Hitachi HD44780U spec (page 24) for most character LCDs. You should also be able to do it by monitoring the busy flag, but it's simpler to just wait.

The Hitachi spec is also available at the bottom of the page I linked before:

https://www.eewiki.net/display/LOGIC/Character+LCD+Module+Controller+(VHDL)

Aya2002

hi.....
I am also new to the world of FPGA... I need to interface an lcd module with fpga. My doubt is that whether i need to provide the ASCII value of each character to be printed separately or can i define an array of the characters to be printed and given to the data bus of LCD one by one enclosed within single quotes. I am using ISE8.1 and I need to know whether the software converts the character which is enclosed in single quotes to corresponding ASCII value...

Status
Not open for further replies.