Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to design a voltage-controlled ring oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerjiang

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,

I want to design a voltage-controlled ring oscillator, a simple, low-speed, wide-tuning oscillator, anyone can offer any help?

thanks in advance!

check this , the transistors with the DC input are the transsitors used in control

this work , as u change the DC voltage uchange the current the upper inverter so the delay of the inverter change , so the frequency of oscillation will change as well

khouly

Reactions: sai91

gingerjiang

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

sai91

Dear khouly
thank you very much
your circuit is good, and i will try it
i have already design a ring oscillator circuit, it work well in simulation
i'm glad to get your suggestion or advice

86_1162353995.JPG

Dear gingerjiang
i have check ur circuit , it is good , and the nice thing about it , that u change the delay of the inverter by changing the load capacitance by the varactors used

mine is by changeing the current ,
i donot know which one will give u wide tuning range , u have to check it by simulatin , also u have to check the phase noise performance of each

and then decide which one will be more suitble ,

also u have to check how to add a voltage to current converter , to the current controlled ring oscillator

khouly

gingerjiang

khouly said:
Dear gingerjiang
i have check ur circuit , it is good , and the nice thing about it , that u change the delay of the inverter by changing the load capacitance by the varactors used

mine is by changeing the current ,
i donot know which one will give u wide tuning range , u have to check it by simulatin , also u have to check the phase noise performance of each

and then decide which one will be more suitble ,

also u have to check how to add a voltage to current converter , to the current controlled ring oscillator

khouly
dear khouly
i have simulated these two circuits, and now i use your circuit.
i find that your circuit's tuning range is larger, while mine's control voltage is disturbed by clock feedthrough, meanwhile isn't robust by process variation.
thank you very much
you said that i should check the phase noise performance, i'm beginner. would you like to introduce me how to simulate it?

it depends on which tool u will use
ADS which is based on HB "Harmonic Balance" or Cadence which use PSS "Periodic Steady State"

if ADS i can help you , if cadence check this appnote by cadence it is very good
**broken link removed**

khouly

gingerjiang

i have some question, when you simulate the ring oscillator, what is its phase noise and the offset frequency??, what is the Phase noise typically in a ring oscillator???

thanks

about the phase noise and frequency offset , u should specify it , coz u measure it according to a standard ,
about the typical valuse i don't have an accurate number but generally it will be for sure worth than LC oscillator

khouly

khouly said:
about the phase noise and frequency offset , u should specify it , coz u measure it according to a standard ,
about the typical valuse i don't have an accurate number but generally it will be for sure worth than LC oscillator

khouly

i just want to know worth to what extent , i know it may be much worth but for example at 3 MHz offset , phase noise typically ?

thanks

dear khouly
i use cadence, and i have download the document you provide, and i will try it
thanks again

ok , simulate it and we will see
and what about ur PLL , did u tried to minimize the jetter

khouly

khouly said:
ok , simulate it and we will see
and what about ur PLL , did u tried to minimize the jetter

khouly
i use cadence to simulate the ring oscillator, but failed
i don't know the cause, maybe need the special rf model for MOS transistors?

so i want to use ADS, would you like help me?

sure
mainly to do oscillator analysis in ads use transient or HB analysis

which version of ads do u use ?
check the manual of ADS about HB smulation , u will find there a good example

khouly

khouly said:
sure
mainly to do oscillator analysis in ads use transient or HB analysis

which version of ads do u use ?
check the manual of ADS about HB smulation , u will find there a good example

khouly
hi khouly
i use cadence to simulate the ring oscillator, and it is successful
thank you anyway
i found the noise of ring oscillator is large, how can i reduce it? which methods are there generally?

typically in Ring oscillator the phase noise is larger than LC oscillators

but i donot know how to minimize the phase noise of ring oscillator

may be one of the experts help us to do so

khouly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back