Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why i/q downconverter or upconverter mixer is used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youncen

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i/q mixer

new question:
than in the transimiter, quadrature structure is still used,why is it used , is the i/q mixer be modulated with the same signal or different two signals ???

and I have this question
for qam or qpsk etc........
when a I/Q(different) modulated signal s1*sin(w*f1)+s2*cos(w*f1) generated by upconverter,when it travel trought I/q downconverter,the original two different signal will be converted to two different complex signal s1*sin(w*f2)+s1*cos(w*f2) and s2*sin(w*f2)+s2*cos(w*f2),f2 can be equal to f1 if it is a direct convertion receiver, these two if signal have carrier overlap not orthogonal~~~~~,how can it be rendered or demodulated?

the original question:
why the quadrature mixer structure is used especially in some low if receiver, just for the convience of adding a polyphase filter to reject image?

got it! thanks to 2,3,4

ads iq mixer

i/q modulation means double the information on the same BW, hence more spectrum effficiency

iq mixer upconverter

IQ mean that ur dealing with complex signals , so u can make complex filters , and so on , it is essential for direct conversion , and low IF

khouly

q upconverter

You kind of get twice the information with an I/Q output than with a single output. For many demodulation or other applications, that allows you to run your A/D converters and 1/2 the clock rate. So there is a clear tradeoff between microwave complexity and DSP complexity.

baseband i and q downconverter

safwatonline said:
i/q modulation means double the information on the same BW, hence more spectrum effficiency

The signal content transmitted by I and Q from Baseband DAC are identical
or not identical? Or, the I path and Q path have a 90° phase difference?

Added after 1 minutes:

khouly said:
IQ mean that ur dealing with complex signals , so u can make complex filters , and so on , it is essential for direct conversion , and low IF

khouly

Why I need I and Q in Direct Conversion? The I Q path required by low IF
is due the image rejection, but how come Zero IF need I and Q also?

think of i and q as x and y cartesian plane.

with x and y, you get two dimensions space. if your data is represented by x and y plane, you get more data points. i.e., (3,4), (3,-5).

with just i or q, you get x or y only, a one dimenion space.

i and q can be different data. they are modulated by two orthogonal signals (cos and sin) which are 90 degree phase apart. it doesn't mean the data is 90 degree apart.

i and q channel can also be used as synchronization detection.

to szekit
I know that is qpsk/qam etc
the problem is that when a I/Q(different) modulated signal s1*sin(w*f1)+s2*cos(w*f1) ,when it travel trought I/q downconverter,the original two different signal will be converted to two different complex signal s1*sin(w*f2)+s1*cos(w*f2) and s2*sin(w*f2)+s2*cos(w*f2),f2 can be equal to f1 if it is a direct convertion receiver, these two if signal have carrier overlap not orthogonal~~~~~,how can it be render?

hello,
i don't get ur question clearly but if i understand correctly , the signal u r talking about I and Q signals are s1 and s2 , then to separate them in superheterodyne Rx u first get ur modulated signal to the IF frequ. i.e. signal=S1*sin(IF*t)+S2*cos(IF*t)
then u separate them at the second stage by using two IF signals (sin(IF*t) and cos(IF*t)) which will separated the two signals i.e. sI=s1 and sQ=s2

notes: 1-sin(w1*t) is the right expression not w*f1
2- if u use real signals for downconversion then u get ashifted version of the o/p
3- if u use complex signals for downconversion u still get shifted versions (i.e. in both cases u will never get a case like the one u stated as the I and Q signals are 90 out of phase and are treated by the same manner so they will stay out of phase

If you use an I/Q upconverter, and feed the same signal into both I and Q ports, you would have BPSK modulation. If the I and Q signals were different, you would have a more complex type of modulation, such as QPSK, NPSK where N is 3,4,5..., QAM, etc

biff44 said:
If you use an I/Q upconverter, and feed the same signal into both I and Q ports, you would have BPSK modulation. If the I and Q signals were different, you would have a more complex type of modulation, such as QPSK, NPSK where N is 3,4,5..., QAM, etc

Does baseband processor use adding and substracting to get real and imag
part signal?

biff44 said:

Does the different signals of I and Q have any relation, such as phase delay but
identical content? Or, I and Q signal from baseband are totally different in QPSK
mode.

I/Q is used to perform complex modulation/demodulation. In low -IF, I/Q down mixer
is used to do spectrum shifter and reject image at negnative frequency with polyphase filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back