Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How is substrate connected to ground in all cells of Virtuoso layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsairajkiran

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
My doubt is after drawing a layout in virtuoso.like std cells inverter,nand,oai etc
,in all these cells how is substrate connected to ground ,or to how take care that substrate is connected to ground.

thanks

virtuoso....inverter

hello Dsairaj kiran

There are many tutorial avaible online .. every uni using cadence tool for layouts has a tutorial starting with an interver .. please refer those .. i can one example tutiorail
**broken link removed**

please follow those steps .. u will get a better idea

suresh

virtuoso....inverter

You ensure that the substrate (or well) is connected to power/gnd by placing well taps. Generally you will put at least one well tap in every standard cell, or in a non standard cell design you will put a certain amount of well taps per area.

Re: virtuoso....inverter

eternal_nan said:
You ensure that the substrate (or well) is connected to power/gnd by placing well taps. Generally you will put at least one well tap in every standard cell, or in a non standard cell design you will put a certain amount of well taps per area.

eternal_nan,my vss rail include following layers metal+ndiff+contact,contcats are many.is it sufficient to say that substrate is grounded.

correct me if I am wrong but you dont need to ground the substrate.
You need to bias the wells (Nwells or Pwells) but not the substrate.

--cmos_dude

correct me if I am wrong but you dont need to ground the substrate.
You need to bias the wells (Nwells or Pwells) but not the substrate.

--cmos_dude

Even we need to ground the taps right? Correct me if I understood incorrectly!

In the well taps, there two connections one for connecting nwell to vdd & other for connecting substrate to vss ..

In the well taps, there two connections one for connecting nwell to vdd & other for connecting substrate to vss ..

Exactly!>. But I have a doubt . Why we require p+ (in nMOS) to connect to vss? Why can't i directly use Metal to provide connection from vdd to substrate!!

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly!>. But I have a doubt . Why we require p+ (in nMOS) to connect to vss? Why can't i directly use Metal to provide connection from vdd to substrate!!

Correction:
Why can't i directly use Metal to provide connection from vss to substrate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back