Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advanced constructs in VHDL for synthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elephantus

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
vhdl fileio

Hi all.

I was looking through multiple IP cores recently and I noticed that most of the cores use a very limited subset of VHDL. However, looking at synthesis tools available today, I noticed that they support quite a lot of language features including structured datatypes (records) and file I/O.

I've currently seen only one IP (LEON2 SPARC processor from Gaisler, open source) which uses records in RTL coding.

I was wondering what's the common opinion on using these features? Do you use it or not and why?

Elephantus said:
Hi all.

I was looking through multiple IP cores recently and I noticed that most of the cores use a very limited subset of VHDL. However, looking at synthesis tools available today, I noticed that they support quite a lot of language features including structured datatypes (records) and file I/O.

Are you sure File IO is supported? Which tool? AFAIK File IO is a sim-only concept. Records are great features, but under utilized due to historic "fears of synthesis tools". As you said, i see no reason to hold back on using them now.

Ajeetha, CVC
www.noveldv.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back