Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Key issues in RF layout design

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3034585

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rf layout

Hi
Can any one pls tell what are the key issues in RF ic layout design. I have been doing mixed signal cmos layout design. so how different is cmos layout than RF layout.

thanks in advance
tama

just for reference, I think is the ground split,and some side grounding
or you can email me and have some talks,I am also interested in it

Hi,

1. First of all if you are design amplifier don't forget DC&RF orthogonal!!!

2. Put a lot of vias near.

3. Almost always you can find application notes on the datasheets - do what it tell!!

I have some article very general, I think will help you send me you email!!!

David

Unfortunately there isn't a general rule for mixed digital&RF PCB design, except maybe a good ground plane (gold plated) and many vias near the signals as someone said. Sometimes the number of vias does not improve the signal quality as long the line impedance even was correct computed is modified during the factory process using different epsilon for the substrate as it was requested...

Splitting ground planes and connecting those in one point could help but also could
produce interesting behaviour for the noise path. So, when you don't have differential analog signals (180 degree phase signal) comming from DA outputs, always keep at least two or more possible connection points between the RF ground and digital ground and use the one which minimise better the noise.

and so on, things hard to find in theory...

Status
Not open for further replies.