Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

thermocouple.... need helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

esterr

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
may i know how to verify that the thermocouple i have is curret signal output or voltage signal output????

A thermocouple by itself outputs a small voltage. If you are talking about the thermocouple amplifier/ adaptor, then you can simply load its output with a fairly large resistance (1-5k) and watch its output. If it changes significantly, then it's most likely a current-output one. If there is no change, then it is a voltage-output model.

the output for thermocouple is in mV
here is one table for many types of thermos (B...to T) and PT100 (100...to 1000). the language is PT but you are going to understand it.
Do you have a mV ? at least you can verify if they are damaged.

most

Re: thermocouple.... need help!

so how bout i want to test whether my thermocouple is still function o not... i construct a circuit for it and the measurement i get unchange although i put in hot water....

Re: thermocouple.... need help!

esterr said:
so how bout i want to test whether my thermocouple is still function o not... i construct a circuit for it and the measurement i get unchange although i put in hot water....

A thermocouple is a device based on Seebeck effect. It will generate a small potential if there is a temperature difference between a "warm junction" and a "cold junction". Standard thermocouples have only the warm junction and two wires. You have to find first what type of thermocouple do you have, because an platinum-rhodiu thermocouple will not deliver any measurable potential imersed in boiled water.
For this sort of measurements you need a copper-iron thermocouple or a copper (or platimum) resistor which is a different device. Or better a DS18B20 or a LM75 or a LM135 or a TC77 or KTY which are semiconductor thermometers.

the picture below are my connection of my thermocouple amplifier, why i only get 5.4mV when it is in ambient temp ? it suppose to take around 200mV? if i use lighter to heat it also remain 5.4mV, my connection is it got problem? i using AD595 thermocouple amplifier and connect accoding the data sheetgiven, anyone can guide me what is the prblem actually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back