Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

urgent!! help!! transition frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ic_fan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I test the transition frequency of NPN transistor using Cadence?
Thanks a lot!

The transition frequency (Ft) of a transistor is the frequency at which the current-gain BETA = unity.
You know Ft depends on the DC bias current of the collector Ic. Ft is maximum for a certain value of Ic.
Now if you want to measur Ft you have first to bias the tansistor : fix the base current and VCE, then perform an AC simulation to plot the current gain Ic/Ib (that is Beta) Vs frequency you will find Ft the frequency that gives 0dB current gain

good luck

Hi, how can I measure the current gain? I have tried but there was no value coming out.
Thanks a lot!

When you perform the AC simulation
you have to use a current generator to fix the DC value of the base current. In this generator put AC value = 1
The measured AC value of the Collector current Ic gives you the current gain : Beta (because the input current (AC value) = 1)
Dont worry about this AC value of in put current if it seems you to be high, During AC simulations SPICE or any athor simulator linearize the circuit and there is no saturation possibility...

Ic_fan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.