Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Impedance matching: microphone +input transformer +amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

falconear

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
impedance matching:
This is an old tired subject, but I would like to
be able to prove that impedance matching improves S/N]:

to show that a microphone +input transformer +low noise amplifier improves the S/N]power
whereas ignoring impedance matching always gives LESS S/N]power

Can anyone help?
Can anyone direct me to an Internet site, where such a proof can be found
(and which I have unsuccessfully looked for)

falconear

Re: Impedance matching: microphone +input transformer +ampli

As a start, instead of dealing with the complexity of a microphone feeding a transformer which feeds an amp, why not say that any complex network can be modeled with a voltage source and a series resistance?

If you say this, then you could analyze a simple voltage divider circuit, which is what power transfer is after all.

Next, if you want a proof, you'll need a means to measure noise, something that will show you a number for a noise floor.

Then, I guess, measure the signal and the noise at the input and form the ratio. Next measure the output of an R/R divider versus a R/NR divider and form those ratios. This should show you what happens between matched and unmatched impedances.

Granted, there may be some mathematical proof, but I don't know of it.

Added after 44 minutes:

For the record, I say impedance matching has zero influence on s/n.

Hi

I entirely agree with Euler's Identity, impedance matchin guarantees maximum power transfer from the source to the load. now if you model the source as signal + noise, the power of both wil be equatly transfered at the maximum value to the load

cheers

Sal

Status
Not open for further replies.