Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply for an amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary2000

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I'm trying to design a simple amplifier with a voltage gain of 25 for my electronics course for university. I'm at the power supply part and have 12vrms and am using a bridge rectifier with a smoothing cap. I've calculated my Vmax but can't seem to source a formula for the ripple voltage and as such can't work out my Vdc for my amp. The only formula I have is for a bridge rectifier without a cap. can anyone help!

Hello

Normaly you can use the formula

C = Io * At/Av

At is 1/T and depends the type of rectifier and frequency Av is the max ripple you want in the power an Io is the output current.

Regards

Gary2000,
An approximate rule is as follows:
For a full wvve rectifier, wRC=10 yields 10% ripple and VDC = 0.9 X the peak AC voltage. Yau can scale the values up or down.
. w = mains freuency in radians/second
. R = the equivalent load resistance in Ohms
. C = Filter capacitance in Farads
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.