Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to increase ROM size for PIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhiling0229

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic+external rom

Hi,

I am working with PIC16F877A. However the instruction that I have written has exceeded the ROM size which is from 0000 to 1FFF.

Is there anyway that I can increase my ROM size for instruction without changing my PIC?

Thanks

how to increase rom

I am afraid you will have to change horses ..

Regards,
IanP

increase rom

Is it possible to have the ROM to be independent from the PIC microcontroller, where I have an external ROM to store all my instruction.

Is it possible? What chip should I used and how to program the external ROM? Thanks

increasing pic16f877a rom space

Try to change compiler options
to make your code more compact

yuv

#rom 18f4520

PIC 16F877A can modify itself its program memory (FLASH). When you insert a bootloader program it can manage this change of code. Maybe you can put your long program code in several segments stored in a serial eeprom (like 24LC512 with 64kbytes) and with a bootloader program load and switch code segments.

howtoincreaserom

i guess you can use extra EEPROM , as rkodaira also says the same, cause you see when microcontrollers(microprocessors) used to come without internal flash memory, external roms were used to store the program. I'm not much familiar with PIC but in case of 8051 i think it's possible

if you need bigger code storage for pic or whatever there only chnace is to use some kind of custom made interpreter (let say basic ) where code will be stored on external memory. And you can have external ram to implement variable data storage .

Ran into a similar problem using the DIL version. Changed to an 18F452 and doubled my code space with the same pinout!

Regards,

It is a good isdea to switch to 18F452 or it's newer reincarnation 18F4520. They have the same pinout, so you don't need to change the layout, and you get more ROM. Plus, It's extended instruction set menas that you can end up with shorter code...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back