Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fuel Tank Level Measuring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually that's not it. Here's the link:
**broken link removed**

hrhgroup

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I read that, but it seems that is for small scale, you know my application is measuring the level up to 4 meter, and on the hand is this safe?
By the way as I searched the net I found that "magnetostrictive sensor" have bemcome popular for level measuring, I searched very very much about this types of sensor, but I didnt know that can I made one manualy???
Thanks all.

hrhgroup, i offered you same solution as newelltech. Thanks to him he provided link to exact solution .

Now of course 10 KPa corresponds to 1 meter , but have a look to this MOT AN:
**broken link removed**
"Liquid level control using a pressure sensor"

There are few sensors whose range are different :
MPXM2010GS 0 to 10 kPa ± 0.01 kPa (1 mm H2O)
MPXM2053GS 0 to 50 kPa ± 0.05 kPa (5 mm H2O)
MPXM2102GS 0 to 100 kPa ± 0.1 kPa (10 mm H2O)
MPXM2202GS 0 to 200 kPa ± 0.2 kPa (20 mm H2O)

latter can measure up to 20 meters of water level.
Have a look to the MOT page for water level reference design :
https://www.freescale.com/webapp/sp...0MPXM2010GS&parentCode=null&nodeId=011269ZwbV

But it is not yahoo yet ). You should contact MOT personel to ask for possibility to use these sensors for measuring liquid you need (for possible chemical and physical impact of environment you are trying to measure).

and finally ... good luck.

artem said:
hrhgroup, i offered you same solution as newelltech. Thanks to him he provided link to exact solution .
Not really. You suggested measuring the pressure at the bottom of the tank. That is a quite different approach and requires that the sensor be placed in the liquid.
My suggestion and the way the article does this is to use a pipe or hose that runs from the bottom of the tank to the top of the tank and the pressure sensor is at the top and actually measures air pressure compressed by the liquid.
hrhgroup said:
I read that, but it seems that is for small scale, you know my application is measuring the level up to 4 meter, and on the hand is this safe?
There really isn't any limit to this approach as long as there is a sensor that can measure the maximum air pressure. Also, what could be safer that a plastic pipe with the sensor mounted at the top - it could even be outside the tank!

hrhgroup

newelltech said:
artem said:
Not really. You suggested measuring the pressure at the bottom of the tank. That is a quite different approach and requires that the sensor be placed in the liquid.
My suggestion and the way the article does this is to use a pipe or hose that runs from the bottom of the tank to the top of the tank and the pressure sensor is at the top and actually measures air pressure compressed by the liquid.

Then does your solution measure something different than pressure on bottom of tunk? ( the pipe method will introduce little error, (function of temperature and water pressure) due to change of air volume in the pipe because of liquid pressure)
Of course you can say about pipe , and i would say as i was talking about protected pressure sensor not only due to sensor placed on bottom of tunk but also for pipe version (actually i ment also pipe as well but did not write - that could be point you can insist on) ) protection is needed due to condensed liquid, on sensor sensitive measuring surface.

Yet it is matter of trust and it is up to you to believe me what i ment or did not. I can agree that my suggestion was not descriptive enough.

hrhgroup

I think regard to the GAS(or steam) of fuel like GASOLENE that would enter the pipe and also affect the presure of air and also its variance with tempreture this method would not be practical, according to my research
the first choice in this project (Level measuring, especially fuel) is the use fo magnetostrictive sensor. But the strange is that there is no technical document on this subject, any document and article is very elementary and simple and I dont know why??:cry:
As I searched main manufacturer of this type of sensor are:
www.temposonic.com
www.veeder-root.com
and ....
if any has good technical article please help me!!?
thanks

hrhgroup said:
I think regard to the GAS(or steam) of fuel like GASOLENE that would enter the pipe and also affect the presure of air and also its variance with tempreture this method would not be practical, according to my research

That's a good point that I hadn't considered. I agree that the evaporation of fuel would affect the pressure and accuracy of the system. Since looking into this technique, I don't think it's a good approach anymore. Even if the liquid is water, there will still be evaporation which will affect accuracy. There is also the issue of leakage in the tube. The accuracy is only maintained if the tube is air-tight.

Come on people. Name me one car company that has used anything but a float-ball system in the past 100 years. I just bought a $15 floatball-transducer plus the $10 gauge to replace the gas gauge that no longer works in my truck. It came with a sheet for how long to set the floatball arm (it depends on the depth of the tank - from like 10 to 40 inches). The arm rotates through a resistor that gives a voltage proprotional to the level of the float. The tank ain't symmetrical, big deal, my MB 300E tank isn't proportional either, the gauge is just marked out in a non-proportional manner to represent that fact. I haven't run out of gas yet. Hook the transducer to a PIC with built in 10-bit ADC and do what you want with it. Just make sure it meets insurance standards and is insurance tested, or you could be paying for more than a new house.
KISS.

Hi,
For measuring the level of fuel tank you can use the ultra sonic transceivers

52_1166797588.gif

hrhgroup

Thanks, but I have implied disadvantagous of ultrasonic, there is a mas of fuel vapor over the surface of fuel and this is one of the source of error in this method.
I really searching for methods of replacing ultrasonic with something like microwave or dopller radar and like this.:cry:

this method is useful for both fluid good conductor and bad conductor one,

this method is tested in the lab for water level monitring that is why u and sending u .....

hrhgroup

Hi,
Better way use mechanical free system
ultrasonic distances sensor will help you

following link is about sensor
**broken link removed**

Hi, Can we use Ultrasonic sensor for fuel tank ?

Do we have to make any hole in fuel tank for ultrasonic measurement ?
If yes, can you suggest me any method to measure fuel in a tank that we can't make any hole ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back