Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

duty cycle and PWD(pulse width distortion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chang830

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pulse width distortion

Hi,
I have a question on the definition on the pwd and duty cycles. I know many paers assert that they define the same things.But I found some product gives the specifications of PWD while others product gives the ducty cycles.

I wonder if ther is no discrepancy between these two concepts, they must be used in different applications. Just like the phase noise and jitter, although they means same things, they are used in spec in different application. So, in hwat applications, they are prefered be used?

Thanks for the help.

duty cycle distortion

Jitter is commonly used in data communication.
Phase noise is rather used in specific to circuits and devices such as PLL. This is to address the mathematical nature.

Likewise, duty cycle (in terms of percentage) and pulse width (as the word is self-explanatory) are refering to the mark:space ratio per period.
Therefore the distortion in this case depends if the topic was raised with respect to the duty cycle or pulse width.
For a person who is working on a problem related to sampling rate, pulse width distortion is more informative to the person.
For a person who is working on regulated power, duty cycle distortion is more informative as the duty cycle determines the average output power.

One caution. Pulses can also be generated aperiodically, therefore pulse width distortion in this case is neither jitter nor phase noise because it is no longer periodic.

chang830

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back