Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dilectric or coaxial resonator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashutosh_g

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i need a low power (around 10mW) VCO operating at 3417.345GHz
with a tuning senstivity of 1MHz/V. the required phase noise is -100dBc/Hz at 10KHz offest.

i checked with the DRO vendors but i was not able to find the tuning sensitvity since they only specify Q and temprature varation of frequency

can any one help me ? where to find such a VCO
thanks
ashutosh

It depends on how many oscillaors you want as to how receptive the manufacturers of oscillators will be to your enquiry.
They usually specify tuning rate, pulling and pushing.
It sound like you have only been given the parameters for the puck.

If you want to design your own then try this article
**broken link removed**

It is close to what you want and shows the design process. I would use a bipolar transistor to get a better phase noise than a FET.
See Siemens application note 002
**broken link removed**

http://www.gedlm.com/DRO/DRO.asp

Keep the coupling to the puck light and try to get a smuch power from the oscillator as possible to get the best phase noise. Just like any other oscillator.
A nominally zero temperature coefficeint puck is probably the best to go for.

From the frequency you gave, to the nearest kHz, you may be better off locking it to a crystal oscillator , but maybe you are planning that anyway.

a Google serach for Dielectric resonator oscillator design will bring up the above references and more.

A search for PLDRO will bring up a number of manufacturers. They all don't show everything they can do, so don't be put off if exactly what you want is not shown. Most DRO manufacturers make Phase Locked DROs, hence the search for PLDRO, and as I said earlier you may be better off locking to a crystal.

Peter

ashutosh_g

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I would recommend e.g. Mini-Circuits model ROS-3214-119. Check "www.minicircuits.com" for this and other VCOs. They cost some $10-20 and work quite well.
If you want to experiment, you can extract a VCO from some 2.45 gadget and retune it to your frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back