Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About OP AMP compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

fengluan

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In a two stage op amp,use a resistor in series with compensation capicator .As the resistir increase,the zero will move into the left-plane.sometimes ,this LPZ shift the phase posetive and the phase margin large than 90, then is it still stability?

thanks

yes i think , but i also think that the loop settling will be slow

You bet! For all kinds of negative feedback on Bode plot it's of open loop amp it's should prevent situation when simultaineously gain cross 0 dB and phase equal 180 or more then 180. Thus ever for closed loop configuration with strong negative feedback (unit gain) the circuit remain stable. The phase margin may be more that 90, it correspond stability condition.
Keep in mind that position of poles and zeros may change during large transients. Always verify stability for input voltage step.

btw what is magical about 90 , why didnt u say above 80 or 110 , the whole idea about stability is as Denis said

Y'd better not to introduce a zero before the GBW

fengluan said:
In a two stage op amp,use a resistor in series with compensation capicator .As the resistir increase,the zero will move into the left-plane.sometimes ,this LPZ shift the phase posetive and the phase margin large than 90, then is it still stability?
thanks

Have a look at the gain margin as well. Usually when the PM>90deg, gain margin will be very less. It's preferable to have a gain margin of atleast 10db (this is a rough figure, which someone told me.)

Also, I agree with pfd001

It can be stable, but speed is too low

Status
Not open for further replies.