Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the defintion of pulse width distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chang830

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pulse width distortion

Hi,
Would you help to take a look at the attached datasheet from Honeywell corporation?In page 463, the specifications of pulse width distortion is defined as 5% in typ and 10%in max.What does it mean?

Is it mean the dutycyle distortion?I.e., the duty cycles is 45% in typ and 40% in max?

Pls. help me to clarify it.

Thanks a lot!

pulse width distorion

PWD is the difference between the received pulse width and the transmitted pulse width, as a percentage of transmitted pulse width.

PWD = (TRCV - TXMT)/TXMT x 100%

Quoted from:
**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

chang830

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
pulse wide distortion

IanP said:
PWD is the difference between the received pulse width and the transmitted pulse width, as a percentage of transmitted pulse width.

PWD = (TRCV - TXMT)/TXMT x 100%

Quoted from:
h**p://www.eettaiwan.com/ARTICLES/2002SEP/A/2002SEP26_NTEK_AN.PDF#search=""pulse width distortion""

Regards,
IanP

Hi IanP,
May I ask you a question on the PWD again? The question puzzles me for some time.

I always found the datasheet of optical receiver gives the specifications on the PWD.It is defined as the pulse width of "1"-pulse width of "0",then divided by two. The product I used in 155Mbps always gives the 25ps in typ and 300ps in max, for example.

The question is I found the crossing poin of the eye-diagram for our chip is shifted up/down seriously,it sometimes even reachs to the top or bottom of the eye-diagram.But at this time, the PWD is still fall into the spec, i.e., the max PWD is still less than the 300ps in MAX as speced It is because of the rise/fall time very sharp. But the crossing point of the eye-diagram has shifted from midpoint very seriously. I want to know, is it will affect the application?Or will it affect the function of the following stage?

I am designing a optical receiver. I have completed the design. The simulation shows that the PWD is entering the spec for all the PVT corners,but in some cases,the crossing points shifted seriously. So, I am not sure if my design can be freezed.

Thanks a lot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back