Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

push in/push out switch control contact switch device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cremulator

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
frs6-5 relay

Hello everyone,
I have a device that can switch between two different modes that I want to control with a push in/push out switch.
It has two wires coming out of it that, if connected, will switch modes. The device will stay on the selected mode while the wires are connected and also if the connection is broken, then will switch again when re-connected (essentially the action of a contact switch).

I have tried using a switching relay, (seen here as the FRS6-5 **broken link removed** )
By connecting one wire to the pin that is the main pole of the switch and the two wires to the poles that the relay switches between (if that makes sense).
The problem seemed to be that the relay switched too fast and didn't allow enough time for the device to register that the circuit had been broken and reconnected.

I also tried adding in some capacitors and resistors to try to build time delay, but this didn't seem to work either (maybe the capacitors were the wrong value)

Anyone have any other ideas to a solution using this same push in/push out switch?

Thanks for any suggestions.

d flip flop push switch

Thanks IanP, that looks like it will do just what I need.
I am assuming that this will trigger the delay each time the relay is tripped?

I'll give it a go next weekend.

turn to push switch

Hi Cremulator,

Here's a totally different approach. Every time the switch is activated
the relay will pull in for about a half second and will release again
when the capacitor is sufficiently charged, meanwhile the other capacitor
will be discharged by it's resistor. The values are typical for the relay
I used and will need further "tuning" for your relay.

on1aag.

control switch device

Thanks on1aag,
I tried something similar with two capacitors and two resistors, but I didn't hook it up the same way.
I'll give your method a go and hopefully it should do what I want.

thanks for the reply.

push in push back switch

hi all,
I tried the suggestions you offered a few weeks ago, but I found that what I need is a flip flop to make it do what I want.
I am essentially trying to turn a push in/push out switch into a contact switch (but I need it to switch when it is pushed in (on) & when it is pushed out (off)).

Any suggestions about the flip flop would be great.
Thank you.

push on/push off control circuit

Hi Cremulator,

Your explanation is rather confusing but I'll give it a try. :roll:

on1aag.

push switch device

You can also do this with a 2-input exclusive-or gate.
One input of the gate connects to the switch.
The other input connects to the cap of an RC LPF from the input.

contact switch device

Sorry to dig this up again, but I have shelved this problem for the last few months and haven't got round to solving it :(
I am quite a novice when it comes to electronics, so some of the diagrams I can't follow (especially not knowing what some of the symbols signify).
I'll provide some more detailed info and hopefully I can find a solution. I'm sure it can be done.

ok, the device I am trying to control is a Greddy Profec B-Spec 2 electronic boost controller for my car.
It has the option of plugging in a contact switch to flick between Hi & Lo settings, but what I want to do is use a push in/push put switch to change between Hi & Lo (mainly because the switch I'm using is a factory rear demister switch & it has a little light on it to indicate on/off).
I have measured the voltage between the wires that the switch connects to and it is 5 Volts.
I have made a simple flash animation how the device functions when the wires are connected. Its interactive so you can click on the wires/switch and it will change Hi to Lo.
**broken link removed**
Fig 1. shows the two wires being touched together, and also when you hold the wires together the device changes. It's only when the contact is broken and reconnected that it changes again.
Fig 2. shows what I need the push in switch to do, which is make contact when pressed on, then also when pressed out. So this is what I need some kind of circuit to do, as the switch currently (like almost all push in switches) only makes contact when pushed in, not when pushed out.

This boost controller will also work if the wires stay connected and the switch breaks the connection then reconnects it.
I hope this is all clear.

thanks for all your help so far everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back