Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do probability and statistic have application in electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.

lekhoi

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
as a junior student in communication engineering, I didn't see any application of probability & statistic in my major. can you give me some example about some theorm in P&S used in communication engineering.
thanks in advance

Re: Do probability and statistic have application in electri

Hi,

Probability and statistics have a lot of applications in communication and electronics.
They are used for example in communication for calculation of bit error rate of modulation techniques.
And in electronics in quantum mechanics and materials.

Regards,
Shohdy

Hi,

For example calculating the Bit Error Rate for the Binary Phase Shift Keying modulation technique in presence of AWGN, you can find the complete proof in any Digital communication system refrence.

Regards,
Shohdy

Probability and stat is useful in these subjects

Statistical Digital Signal Processing

Probability,random variables and random processes

Digital comm

it's also useful in telecommunication traffic engineering. ex : calculate probability of blocking

regards

masadi

This topic is fundamental for studying modulation, coding, or coded modulation.

have to agree with ahmedseu looking at gsm or how your cell works. there is a lot of stat in.
example. what is the propability that the symbol received is actually the real one, in 8PSK or 64QAM. and what is the prop. that the bits are corrent in that symbol.
And then there is bit error rate etc.

Hi Anno,

What is bit error rate.. how do u measure it.. where i want to test it is in one of my wireless module operating at 2.4GHz frequency.

electrical : noise is all random all statistical

ITS USED IN FINDING BIT ERROR RATE OF DIGITAL MODULATION TECHNIQUES,
TO FIND THE STASTICAL CHARACTERISITCS OF THE WIRELESS CHANNEL. WE HAVE VARIOUS DISTRIBUTIONS WHICH SHOW WHAT KIND OF CHANNEL IS GOOD FOR COMMUNICATIONS etc.

It's used too in the factory process. The probability of your product fail, depends on the quantities of each product you make, and the process involved in the production lines.

You have for example a component that have a fail rate for example 0.1% for any reason. Then in the factory must take the care to know that in big volumes it could be too much money that you will lost if don't analise how to reduce. It's statistics too, and it's for electrical engineers cause could be a design problem!

hi lekhoi, your question is quite strange for a telecom engineer!

every signal is a RANDOM function, if not it means that you already know the incoming signal so it will not carry ANY information.

so EVERY maths you will use studying telecom stuffs is concerned with statistics.

good luck!

Hi,

Probablity and statistics play important role in all the field of Engineering.

As far as Electrical and communication fields are concerned, we use it to simulate a noisy communication channel i.e performance of a particular system working in a noisy channel which reduces the SNR.

Also in VLSI we use perform Monte Carlo analysis which are nothing but statistical models.

In short you can use probablity and Statistical models to find the performance of Success or failure of your system

Regards
Shaikh Sarfraz

a practical problem which you can try is like

you want to compare some signaling schemes with let's say Probability of packet error as a performance metric on the scale of probability of bit error then the analytical model which you will develop for each scheme under investigation to be tested will be solely on the basis of your understanding of probability theory.

The above statement is the outcome of my experience of statistical modeling of cooperative diversity schemes at the MAC layer.

Yes, statitics and probablity are very important in communications, and that's an area which I am dificient in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back