Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using 802.11a MAC in a FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

it_boy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
802.11a MAC

Hi,
Has anybody tried a 802.11a MAC in a FPGA?
Can somebody tell me the expected gate complexity for such a core, which Xilinx VirtexII chip may be suffecent??

About 300K include WEP, TKIP, AES inplemented by hardware

I am surprised implementing so many functions with only 300K.

Thanks for the answer Zhan
Does this estimate also include the gate count of Tx & Rx MAC unit?
Will there be any advantage developing the TX and Rx MAC in hardware? I have seen many cores where these parts are developed in software.

Thanks in advance

btw, i've been developing 802.11a digital PHY for intermediate frequency range (software defined radio). for example, demodulator with smoothed LS channel estimation/equalizing, full featured synchronization acquisition and tracking, and FEC, fits into virtex2 2000.

Re: 802.11a MAC

Does it include OFDM FFT?

Usually a 802.11a MAC are software base as the spec is being changed (eg. fixing new security holes). If it is hardware base, it is bit hard to upgarde.
What functions do you want to implement in tx/rx MAC?

802.11a MAC

the partition of software and hardware is various according to different designs. if the software's process speed is fast enough, some functions, such as WEP, could be implemented in software. but the functions that need quick responds to the incoming data should be implemented in hardware. it is a tradeoff between performance and cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back