Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Verification of the integration of an IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharas

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to run a test on my chip, and make sure that the IP I bought is integrated according to the vendor's specifications.
I added checks for each pin according to the behaviour it should have: i.e., check that the pin has a constant value of 1, or check if the pin gets a value of Z or X during the simulation, or check that a pin that shouldn't, doesn't toggle during the simulation.

Does anybody have another check that he/she thinks are worth adding?

Thanks in advance,

Sharas

can u pls try assertions.

sharas

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
sharas said:
Hi,

I want to run a test on my chip, and make sure that the IP I bought is integrated according to the vendor's specifications.
I added checks for each pin according to the behaviour it should have: i.e., check that the pin has a constant value of 1, or check if the pin gets a value of Z or X during the simulation, or check that a pin that shouldn't, doesn't toggle during the simulation.

Does anybody have another check that he/she thinks are worth adding?

Thanks in advance,

Sharas

Few things to keep in mind in verifying 3rd party IPs.

1. It is good to have some redundancy in this process as you are never sure how much the IP has been verified to adhere to a standard spec.
2. Use a Verification IP from a vendore *different* from your Design IP vendor. This is key - don't ever use Design and Verification IP from same vendor.

3. For peripheral IPs (such as PCI, USB etc.), use Assertion IPs (AIP) as and when possible. Good examples are 0-in (Mentor) and Synopsys. Yes, there is redundancy bet'n AIP and VIP - but it is *good* one. You don't need to learn any new language, just plug it, get results/violation/coverage. Amazingly powerful and easy to use - fits into almost any flow - be it your TB in C/SystemC/Verilog/VHDL/SV/E/OpenVera etc.

Refer to SNUG India 2006 paper from RAMBUS for more on this topic.

Good Luck
Ajeetha, CVC
www.noveldv.com

sharas

Hi
I passed with this but we were the seller !!
The customer did the followinh
1- write assertions for the expected behaviour of the IP interface as speced by the standard or by design specificactions.
2- run VIP tools on the IP which is a tool that runs to test certain statndard protocol.
3- Build Bus functional models and use them to test the IP against it in a random test environment
4- Run Lint, CDC, Code Coverage on the design and face us with the results :)

Thanks

sharas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back