Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why hire students to do internships?

Status
Not open for further replies.

david90

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What are the advantages in hiring students to do internships instead of hiring an experienced workers?

It allows employers to evaluate people of unknown talent level and offer the good ones a permanent job when thy graduate.

I would be more pragmatic:

If the complexity of a certain task(*) is not that high requiring a limited amount of time, then an internship is a very cheap solution (compare 600e/m vs 2500e-3000e for an experienced guy).

Since it is financially attractive for the company, they can offer you 'anything', one should really pay attention on "how such an internship can benefit me from a learning point of view?" "more specifically, Is it in accordance with my career project ?" and so forth, because obviously u dont do it for money.

(*) As an example of task, very often It helps research groups of companies to start a first investigations in the desired domain or project.

I would be more pragmatic as far as I am concerned:

If the complexity of a certain task(*) is not that high requiring a limited amount of time, then an internship is a very cheap solution (compare 600e/m vs 2500e-3000e for an experienced guy).

Since it is financially attractive for the company, they can offer you 'anything', one should really pay attention on "how such an internship can benefit me from a learning point of view?" "more specifically, Is it in accordance with my career project ?" and so forth, because obviously u dont do it for money.

(*) As an example of task, very often It helps research groups of companies to start a first investigations in the desired domain or project.

Internships are defnitely cheap labor. I had 3 (can you say career student), and I never had anything as intersting as starting a first investigation. Maybe they save these for the Ph.D.s or maybe I just got unlucky...

interns are ideal for simple tasks that no experienced engineer wants to do. moreover they are cheap.

reduce the cost of interviewing time, HR time, benefits, and the whole nine yards. Interns tend to work hard...so no OT is pay for this days of year.

estradasphere said:
interns are ideal for simple tasks that no experienced engineer wants to do. moreover they are cheap.

At the same time, a lot of high-tech companies hire interns, and then can't fit them to appropriate work, so they end up doing menial labour or something really boring.

The hiring manager and the labour must be suitable for interning to (relatively) inexperienced workers. There are some large companies with excellent intern/co-op programs; these tend to be organized and planned out ahead of time, and work out well. Other companies "haphazardly" (i.e. random) hire interns for a summer/fall labour crunch, then realize later on it was a waste of time and money...

Status
Not open for further replies.