Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interfacing microcontroller to floppy drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

froten

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
floppy drive microcontroller

Hi all,

Is it possible to interface the microcontroller to the floppy drive to store data, what chips need to be used, any tutorials and information will be very helpful.

thanx in advance for any help

floppy drive interfacing

It would probably be *much* easier to use a Compact Flash card or SD - there is more info for them.

The floppy drive has very little electronics on it and really just gives you a raw datastream from the read head. The controller circuit and is always on the computer board and simple controller chips are very hard to find now, as modern PC's do it all in the main chipsets. You might find a *very* old PC or interface board with a usable controller chip, but then you probably won't find its datasheet. Or take a look at older home computers (Atari, Commodore etc) for chips/ideas. Another possibility is to look fopr an old parallel-port-to-floppy interface.

That said, it is not impossible and there are a few people who have tried:

**broken link removed**

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/co...9e0e384ad7b99?tvc=1&q=&hl=en#de19e0e384ad7b99

Good luck,
FoxyRick.

floppy microcontroller

I think after some searching in the net I'm gona drop this task. Will try with Flash card and hope that will be easeir. thanx for the help

floppy interface micro

froten said:
I think after some searching in the net I'm gona drop this task. Will try with Flash card and hope that will be easeir. thanx for the help
Hi froten, if you want save mass data,you can even try to interface your microcontroller with a IDE harddisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.