Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the methods of measuring frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smb

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Measuring Frequency

I want to know the all method of measuring frequency?Who can help me?

Re: Measuring Frequency

Hi
The one which i like is the zero-crossings method...
Just implement a zero-crossing comparator with a 1 second counter... and you have the frequency..

xischaune said:
Hi
The one which i like is the zero-crossings method...
Just implement a zero-crossing comparator with a 1 second counter... and you have the frequency..

You don't even need a comparator if d input is Square wave , just feed it to clock of counter which will count pulses and output dvided by time taken to reach there will give u frequency.

Alternatively circuits r there that convert frequency to voltage : use analog version for sin input and digital for square wave input

What is frequency of a signal? It is number of periods in a second.
Count periods in a specific time and calculate frequency.
Period of a signal is inverselly proportional to it's frequency. Measure duration of a period and calculate frequency.

What previously posters said is dealing with signal conditioning before measurement and is not a method of frequency measurement.

Borber said:
What is frequency of a signal? It is number of periods in a second.
Count periods in a specific time and calculate frequency.
Period of a signal is inverselly proportional to it's frequency. Measure duration of a period and calculate frequency.

What previously posters said is dealing with signal conditioning before measurement and is not a method of frequency measurement.

Provided you hv a CRO

CRO is one of possibillities. Sometimes you may use allso a seconds pointer on your watch. At some other indirect methods the use of a voltmeter or a meter or a scales is possible. But you always must count a number of periods or length of it.

Measuring Frequency

You could consider a frequency to coltage converter and caliberate the voltgae to know the frequency.

First bring down the voltage to 0-5 volts range using conventional voltage divider. Then feed this signal to a schmitt trigger based on an opamp. Then give this signal to CCP input of PIC 16f877 microcontroller. Search the michrochip website for an application note and u surely will find one.

Internet is full of frequency counter projects, mostly based on PIC MCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back