Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Periodic Structures HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

chestertfatfish

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
periodic structures

My team at the lab are having great difficulty at figuring out how to simulate photonic crystals in HFSS. We need to use spherical coordinates to set oblique light vectors towards our periodic structures. We cannot use radiating boundaries for this because they can only be used for perpendicular angles of incidence. Currently we are using a combination of pml and an airbox that souronds the object on both sides. We are not sure how to calculate the best airbox size for our simulations and seem to be getting bad results where our graphs are a little off everytime. Any help with figuring out what the problem is would be great. We are newbies at using HFSS.

hfss periodic

I ve seen several ppt telling me to use a PML however when I used a PML the mesh building process (abc3d.exe) in HFSS usually went wrong. So I said Hell Whatever and tried not using PML --- only an air box covering ur unit cell and defind linked BC on the air box surfaces... It works well so far. The eigenmodes I got is consistent with the strcture's transmission diagram got from a waveport excitation method.

Actually I am trying to use dispersion diagram from HFSS to calculate density of states of photonic crystal. Anyone here has same experience to share with us?

And one question too: does one mode got from HFSS eigensolver mean one band? And usually the modes you get are very close to each other like mode 4 260.45GHz and mode 5 260.72GHz. How reliable could these results be? Maybe they are just the same modes?

Any advice would be helpful!

photonic crystals hfss

Why I can't download it?

Can anybody here help me?

Thanks,

Gao Bo

hfss eigensolver modes

Try this link about Hfss.

Reactions: serane

serane

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status