Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 USB clone - how to get it to work with 3.3V PIC24s ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
programming 3v3 pic icd-2

One mistake in my preview sch. Of course PORTA4 in 4550 should be push down to the GND, and PORTA1 & PORTB7 (PGD) pull up to VUSB. The resistors on base of transistors should have values: R10, R11 = 1.2k, R12 = 390R...
Sorry!

convert low voltage trigger to usb

Hello,

I also builded an ICD2 "cooked" by me but it is mainly based on the schematics found on this forum.

What I wanted to say is that one of my friends has an explorer 16 board and he tested my ICD on that board. He said that he was able to read program and debug PIC24xxx without any problems.
The data lines are buffered with standard 74HC125/126 and the MCLR/VDD switching matrix is Lothar Stolz's design.

For a better understanding I attached the part of the schematic I was talking about.

On the other using AHC/AHCT drivers will solve this problem for good because the drivers that output the data will be powered from the target's power supply therefore their output logic levels will be scaled according to their supply voltages. The drivers used to input data are permanently suplied from ICD supply lines and their output logic levels are TTL compatible.
This type of drivers are also used on the original ICD2.

.... hope this helps anyone

usb 3.3v protection

Hola a todos!
En la version original del ICD2 no es necesario una fuente para el programador cuando se quiere programar dispositivos PIC24. Mi pregunta es: ¿El clon trabaja de la misma manera? Gracias!

Hello everyone!
In the original version of ICD2 there is no need a source if you want programmer PIC24 devices (3.3V). My question is: Does the clone works the same way? Thank you!

max3378 utilisé

Hi all, I've been reading all the posts regarding the use of clone ICD2 on 3.3v system and understand that the pyto2 is the only one that works.

I've built the PICS version before i read this post. Looking at the diagram of the PICS can it not be modified to work with 3.3V?. Look at diagram found at icd2clone.com, main schematic. If the Vcc feeding T2 was supplied by the target (connect to J2 pin 2), then when RC1 is high, 3.3V would be supplied to the MCLR pin, right? And when T5 is on then 12V will be supplied. This was the only concern that i could find as all the other voltages would still function as needed when pluged into a 5v system.

I've tried the PICS without modification on a 3.3v system and it supplies about 4.65v to the MCLR (J2 pin1) which according to spec is too high, but chip still works...

What do you think of suggestion to fix PICS??

pic24hj256gp206 icd2 vdd

So I modified my PICS ICD2 Clone: cut track Vcc of T2, connect T2 to target vcc (pin 2 of J2). Now when plugged into system with 24F @ 3.3V, the MCLR is at 3.3V when high, MPLAB reads Target Vpp as 3.3V and also on mulimeter. When plugged into system with 18F @ 5V Mplab reads Target Vpp as 12.5V and also on mulimeter. I think my PICS ICD2 Clone will now work just like Pyto2. Others that have PICS must try and see if it works.

Hi crystallattice,
As you said,you have read all the posts regarding the use of clone ICD2 on 3.3v system,could you please tell me which one is the best and put the schematic if possible?
Is the icd2_usb_4550_1800.pdf (80.3 KB) what i'm looking for?and in this schematic the vcc is from usb or target device?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back