Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adding external RAM to PIC16F877

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmet2004

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I realize this might be a better Microchip question but I thought I'd get a better response here.

I'm developing CCS C code for a PIC16F877 and the compiler says I'm using about 89% of available RAM.

Do I need a different processor or is there a way to add external RAM to the chip? All info I seen only talks about adding ROM.

Re: PIC16F877 ccs

Hi,
Addding external ram is possible with spi on 877. but not the program mem of the chip. try to use the newer 16f91x series, it is half the price for the same features.Data ofcourse can be exchanged. There are alternatives for the include files, like custom versions with only the required features, this brings down the program mem requirments. see if you require all the include files:D

Re: PIC16F877 ccs

hi
using pic16 series was also a great headache for me. then i shifted to pic18 series having same min mapping and functionality but 4 times more memory. so i will sugesst u to also shift for pic18 series

PIC16F877 ccs

emm.. another way to reduce ram usage (in CCS) is using:

int const a[6] = {0x5B,0x4F,0x66,0x6D,0x7D,0x07};

instead of

int a[6] = {0x5B,0x4F,0x66,0x6D,0x7D,0x07};

the "const" will make the array to store in the rom instead of the ram...

regards,
sp

Status
Not open for further replies.