Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pins in dc-dc converter ic

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumitj

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
do we need to have separate pin for power supply (VDD) and the input voltage (which is to be converter to some lower o/p voltage).

I have seen in most dc-dc converter ic's that they have only one i/p voltage pin. If we have only one input voltage pin, than for this we need to make sure that all other circuitry (i.e. control loop, comparators, opamps etc) work for the entire range of input voltage. if lets say the i/p voltage range of dc-dc converter is 3 to 7v and o/p range is from 1 to 4V. do we have to design our other blocks such that they work for entire range of 3 to 7v.

Hey even if there is externally only one pin, you can generate a seperate VDD with an internal regulator. In most of the Power Management SoCs, you have an internal regulator to power up the digital. Remember these things can save a lot of real-estate on the board and hence is more cost effective.

sumitj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I dont think there is a need for two pins. You can do with one pin only. As mentioned, generate the second signal from the first using an LDO. This doesnt take up much floor space also.

sumitj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back