Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reducing PWM jitter on an opamp oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastcomponents

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pwm jitter

Hello all.

I have a problem with a circuit I'm trying to design to control a cheap r/c hobby servo. To remind those unfamiliar with the control of these, they rely on a PWM signal of around 50Hz to control them. The limits of the servo positions correspond to a PWM on-period of between 0.8ms and 2.2ms, with the centre position being at 1.5ms. This in turn corresponds to a duty cycle of between ~3% and ~11% with the centre at about 7.5%.

The purpose of the circuit is to control the position of the servo with a control knob as cheaply as possible. Therefore, I decided to use a LM324 quad opamp. The circuit is attached, and is a miller integrator + comparitor, plus a second comparitor to generate the PWM signal.

The problem with the circuit as it stands is that there is quite a lot of jitter on the trianglewave at Vout, which in turn turns into jitter in the PWM signal - enough to really confuse some servo brands, and to overhead others. the jitter is about 0.5% - 0.75%, and I've tried many ways to reduce this. The IC is completely decoupled, and I've observed no noise on the PSU line.

Perhaps this is a limitation of the chip? from my understanding of the circuit, I would attribute the cause to be an unreliable comparitor function on succssive cycles of the oscillation. Can anyone confirm / deny? If that's the case, can anyone confirm what I should swap the LM324 for? (Cheap is favourable!).

Please find the circuit diagram attached. thanks, Tom.

pwm lm324

Your problem is with reference source, that you use to shift the output DC level of triangle wave.

In histeresys block - switching occurs between two states, in middle is DC level

In integrator block - output integrates the noise of reference source (only elimine noise with zero mean)

Improve it.

Try a large capacitor to filter it.

Status
Not open for further replies.