Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

low cost fast switching diodes with minimum recovery time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibrahim03

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am making a project for driving a dc motor with an H-Bridge. I am now using BJTs for the H-Bridge (previously I tried to use N-Channel Mosfets but ran into problems). The trouble is I need to use freewheel diodes to use with the transistors.As I am using PWM of 1KHz ,I need diodes which can switch that fast. Can you please suggest the part number of any diodes which are cheap and easily available and will serve the purpose.

I currently have 1N4001 and 1N5395 with me. Any chance I can use these in my project?

Re: low cost fast switching diodes with minimum recovery tim

ibrahim03 said:
I am making a project for driving a dc motor with an H-Bridge. I am now using BJTs for the H-Bridge (previously I tried to use N-Channel Mosfets but ran into problems). The trouble is I need to use freewheel diodes to use with the transistors.As I am using PWM of 1KHz ,I need diodes which can switch that fast. Can you please suggest the part number of any diodes which are cheap and easily available and will serve the purpose.

I currently have 1N4001 and 1N5395 with me. Any chance I can use these in my project?

You should use diodes of MURxxxx family from ON Semicoductor (ex - Motorola) https://www.onsemi.com.
The type depend on your circuit.
For example:
MUR120 is 1A 200V Trr=35ns
MUR820 is 8A 200V Trr=35ns
The diodes you have aren't suitable for this task, they are general purpose diodes tipycally used for rectifing the mains voltage(50-60Hz).
Strange that you had problem with power mosfet transistors, because are easier to use than bipolar transistors.

stefano

if motor current is lower than 8A-9A and voltage under 40V, you can use IN5822.

Re: low cost fast switching diodes with minimum recovery tim

ibrahim03,
Any Schottky diode should do the job. The only restriction is that they are not available with high voltage ratings.
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.