Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless Connectivity in Rural Areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

buts101

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Wireless Connectivity in Rural Areas

Hello Guys!!!

I need to know how to make telephony and internet possible in the

remote or rural areas where there is no connection of landline telephone,

no ISP s around.
I know little that it is possible with wireless connectivity. But

I need to know how can I setup those type of connectivity for telephony

or internet in those rural areas. What are the requirements..such as

specification of hardwares, connectivity to satellite or remote Local

Exchange Telephone Centre by VSAT...those types of thing. I think these

type of project are sponsored by donor countries or organisation.
Please help me to get technical knowledge to make connectivity

possible in the rural areas.

Thank you.

hi

for satelite setup u sholud have a big setup like ISPs.

but for wireless internet connectivity long distance modems(LAN CARDS) which r possibally in 100KMs of range are available.

but who will give and arrange is a difficult task

Hi buts101

If i were you i would be to confy about the VSAT solutions it ould be just to expensive and complicated for you if you don't have the support of a larger ISP.
Now, the wireless solutions is the way to go... At least in my opinion...
Now using 802.11 is simpler and very wide range solution for both, internet and voice channels, using QoS you can transport voice over IP... you can even read something about the solution of Cisco for full mesh wireless networks wich I think is better for rural networks.

Wireless is a simple technology and cheap... the problems, calculate where each access point or transmiter will be located, acording to the distance it will cover and to the climatological environment of the zone... keeping the access point secure and energized is one more problem, you will have to set up small generators for each access point in the zones where no electricity is easy to get...

Is a challenging project but i have seen it before, a couple of friends of my made their thesys upon this topic.

Good luck and good night

Hello DarkJedi..

if i want to proceed wireless connectivity and want to install it in my remote village...what are the basic things i need to know...about theory..about equipments..and who are the organisation who will be willing to help me

thank you

Well, let's see...

- You will have to know the regulation of your country for radio communications and the bands that are free to use along with themaximun power you can radiate. With that information you can deside on a technology to use. Most countries allow IEEE 802.11 so i think this is the way to go.

- Need to know the distance of the point to interconnect and the environment condiction of the region, this will help you calculate the power you will have to use to transmit for a certain data rate.

- You will need to have LoS (Line of Sight) between the 2 points, so probably you will be needing towers to set up your antennas.

- You will be needing directive antennas wich will help you get more power concentration for the transmition, so you will ahve to point those antennas at each other, this could be kinda tricky.

- Read some access point specifications, like configuring, security protocols, access methods, QoS for wireless networks.

- Read about Freznel zones... this is just theory, it's helpfull.

Cisco is a good place to get documentation, also you coud try something cheaper like Linksys or D-Link... the theory is the same for all of them, thought Cisco tend to make things a little more complicate.

Also you will have to know something about switches, UPS and how to generate the electricity for the access points... I think tha's pretty much what you will have to know...

I was forgeting about the phisical protection of the equipment, like NEMA boxes, lightning stoppers, goos grounding, locked to prevent them from stealing...

Now, about organizations that could help you... well, most countries have help for people who wants to implement rural communications, at least that's the way it works in my country, it's the Telecommunication Ministry of Perú, a goverment office... I really have no idea how it would be in your country...

Hope ot helped.

Hi buts101,
At many areas field trials for employing Wimax are underway.
Check it out in your country.Wimax can be a good option but
see if the infrastructure etc are in place and and other issues
regarding feasibility in your area as others have mentioned.

The BEST solution for this problem is the WiMax 802.16 network you can have reachability from around 30 Miles @72Mbps-using TCP/IP.
You can have the network as P2P to give a a backhaul to the place you want and then PMP to cover an entire reigon.
Then you shall install WiMax CPEs-or purchase WiMax phone like the Samsung M800- and give your customers a VOIP service with very good QoS.
Also WiMax supports ATM cellular structure if you wish.
If you want any further technical information about WiMax just inform me

Hello Guys!!!
I like to know and understand about Wi-Fi 802.11 and Wimax. Please refer me the webpage or book about those topics.
It will be helpful to understand if you refer me a report about wireless connectivity in rural areas prepared by the professionals or organisation.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.