Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does HFSS handle object intersection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjbale

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HFSS Object intersection

Hi,

I have a very basic HFSS question. If I immerse a cylinder of dielectric within a second cylinder made from air how does HFSS handle the intersection between the two materials, does either take precedence?

Best Regards, Simon.

Re: HFSS Object intersection

The inner object's properties take precedence. In your case, you would have a cylinder of dielectric surrounded by a cylinder made of air.

Obviously, this only works when one object is entirely inside the other. In HFSS, you would not be able to simulate such a structure (other simulators like CST MWS have different rules which do allow this) without clarifying (i.e. editing) the objects to avoid this.

Hope this helps!

-john kitt.

sjbale

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. It seems that HFSS does allow me to simulate a structure when one object is totally enclosed in a second?? Is the usual way of modelling this type of structure to cut a hole in the first cylinder with the same shape as the second and then to place the second cylinder back into this hole?

What would happen if the second cylinder was hollow, would the hollow portion be filled with the same type of material as the first cylinder?

Kind Regards, Simon.

Simon,

If it makes you feel better, then yes, you can subtract the inner object from the outter, but this is not necessary. For instance, let's say I make a cylinder of air. Then I put another cylinder of some dielectric completely inside the air cylinder. HFSS will assign precedence on the dielectric over that of the air where appropriate.

Now I can subtract the dielectric cylinder from the air cylinder and then re-fill the air cylinder with another dielectric cylinder of the same size. When you simulate the structure, you will get the exact same answer as before. But this requires an additional couple of steps, so why do it?

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back