Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

File Sharing behind a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabdelmawla

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm in the same network with my friends. but I'm connected to the network through router. and I need to share files with my friends. so how can I do that?

You have to use port forwarding on the router. In some routers, you have an option called DMZ or exposed host. You have to put your local IP on that section.

I tried DMZ. but it didn't work. I can't see my friends PC's and they can't see me either. what does DMZ do exactly?

Can you write your address and your friend?

what do you mean?
where do you want me to write the addresses?

and mask; are you in the same subnet?

you didn't get the problem in the 1st place.

we are sharing an ADSL line connection. and all my friends are under the same router. and I'm connected to this router through another router. so thier connection is the WAN connection of my router. and I'm connected to LAN connection of my router. so I need a solution to make me with them in the same workgroup in this case.

do they have the same range of ip address as urs ,if yes , why there is a router ,there should be a switch directy ,and if not , then you should configure the router to redirect packets from your interface to the other interface

furthermore write the name of router but the best solution will be the same subnetwork.

to: salma ali bakr

no, we don't have the same range of adresses. and I'm forced to use the router as there is someone with me under my router. and he is using a Wi-Fi connection. would you please explain to me how to redirect packets from my interface to the other interface?
and one more request. would you please explain how can I now share a folder to my friends?

hi mohamad,
can you ping your friend's PC please
if not then do this:::

1-configuring of the router depends on the type of it , so this is just a flow for what to do in any router and u type it according to the router u use

2-if you use a static address (and thats what i guess ), you should configure an address of the interface you connected with an ip adress in the range of your ip addresses and put this ip adress you choose in the default gateway of your pc.

3-you then have to configure the router to NAT or route the packets from your interface to your friends interface , and that also depends on the router you use

4- i guess you then can start sharing

If you are sharing files using your windows file sharing mechanism you can access files over a router on Windows NT machines. You can definitely use SMB filesharing (==WIndows filesharing) on UNIX machines.

But none of these things are easy to do. The easiest way to share files across a networks is to use FTP. Use some FTP server on your machine and share files. But you have to know the IP Address to access the files from a server.

You can also HTTP server like Apache for this purpose.
But both the above systems require to know the IP Address of the fileserver in advance.

If you are too experianced there are other options like NFS, SSH etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.