Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

understanding seven layer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhn_karim

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello

i got a problem understanding how it works, can anybody help me, thanks

what did you mean from "seven layer"??

explain more please.

If your question is regarding "OSI Seven-Layer Model" the see the following site:

**broken link removed**

jhn_karim

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
oh , i mean OSI seven layer, i don't know when is a hardware is working on the data link layer, or network layer,
and what is the different of session and network layer
btw, thanks for the reply

OSI Model.. 7 layers..
layer1 :: the Physical layer: defines the acual conveying of information over the transmission medium. it determines how bits are converted into electric current,light pulses, or any other physical form by definig such factors as voltage levels,timing factors,and connector standards.

layer2:: the Data Link Layer : defines how information is transmitted throughout the network by creating and recognizing messages boundaries. and ensures that any mistakes will not be carried onto the next layer by implementing error detection,correction and re-transmitting.

layer3:: the Network Layer : is responsible for addressing and routing. this layer controls both layer 1 and layer 2. layer 3 recieves the message from layer4 and determine the addressing and routing to it and then gives it to layer 2 to handle the message.

layer4::the Transport Layer : it takes care of the transfrer of data by establishing and maintaining a connection between end users. it also breaks large transmissions into smaller packets, it also ensures all data recieved error free and removes duplicated packets.

layer5:: the Session Layer : establishes and terminates connections and arranges sessions to logical parts. it also performs accounting duties to ensure proper billing.

layer6 :: the Presentaion Layer : it's responsible for interpreting the meanings of the bits sent from one program to another and preparing this information for presentation to the user.

layer7 :: the Application Layer : provides the interface between the network and the end-user that allows the user to interact with the network.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i hope i could help with this brief about the & layers of the OSI Model.

jhn_karim

so you mean that layer 4 is dealing the physical part and layer 5 deals with the logical part, but both of them are working on setting up the connection

i quiet understand about layer 6 and 7, but not quiet sure about layer 3, 4 and 5, any suggestion

the link has been removed from cisco, any other link
thanks

The layer 3 deals with the IP and routing protocols.

The layer 4 deals with TCP or transport protocols, the socket communicates the layer 3 with the layer 4.

The layer 5 deals the logical connection.

well note down a very good link...i hope it will work this time...its a pdf document of 61 pages and i think its a good one......i hv also got a lecture ...im uploading it here...
**broken link removed**

jhn_karim

use a book like stallings or tanenbaum ... better than reading some online material ... nice way to get ur basics polished !!

Remember these facts: The OSI model is a conceptual model. For a software act in the 7 layer, it must play with the others layers... or other software must guarantee that the others layers are protocols are satisfied.

the fantasy of OSI elders was not followed by ietf - browsing over http if not wrong does take only 4 layers. But it still works in a harsh environment called internet )

pratyk said:
use a book like stallings or tanenbaum ... better than reading some online material ... nice way to get ur basics polished !!

would you please post any web link for stallings: really need that e-book
thanx very much

even the book by fehrouzan is good for the network basics

try flazx.com or ebookclub.org
there is hell lot of books.
try searching for networking or ccna books

Kurose, Ross is a good book to learn about Networking. You can use Stallings/ Tanenbaum too

hi too all
i need a free website from which i can download the Tanenbaumm book

hi, i am uploading a very good presentation made by me on network topologies and osl layers, it will give u a brief introduction abt layers, if u have any fruther doubt, feel free to contact me

Status
Not open for further replies.