Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About µ-strip line and FR4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tangqin55

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Nowadays I'm learning LVDS.I'm confused by "The transmitter is a serializer transmitting a 8-bit data burst with a 90° shifted clock reference over two pairs of 3-cm-long,0.6-mm-large,50-Ω µ-strip lines(FR4 thickness is 360µm)".
I'd like to ask:"What is µ-strip line?What is FR 4?Why when simulating we need to specify the type of transmitting line?"
Could you explain it for me:?:?Thank you very much!!

A microstip transmission line is a printed circuit trace over a conducting plane with a dielectric between the trace and plane. A stripline would be a trace between two conducting planes with dielectric between the trace and the planes.

FR-4 is a specification for printed circuit board dielectric material. The designation stands for 'flame retardant class 4'. The material is fiberglass mat with epoxy resin. It can have a dielectric constant from about 3.4 to about 4.8, depending on the proportion of resin to glass and the specific epoxy resin used.

You need to specify the type of transmission line because it will determine the capacitance per unit length, the inductance per unit length, and the losses of the interconnects in your circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.