Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Group and phase velocity

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are not the same.
it is discussed in the Cheng book (its title i doubt : electromagnetics).

But as a simple example , look at a DSB tone modulation. u have a high frequency (Fc) cosine wave and its ( wavelength/frequency) is considered phase frequency (the main velocity).
and your message that is a tone (with freq: Fm) is made the envelope of the previous cosine waveform and its ( wavelength/frequency) is group velocity.

regards

hello friend
there is a distinct difference between phase and group velocities...better than me explaining, i hope u will be pretty clear when you refer to Simon Haykin...he has explained the difference with an example.

Regards,
Arunacha

The group velocity is the velocity of information propagation and, loosely, of energy propagation. The velocity of propagation of an envelope produced when an electromagnetic wave is modulated by, or mixed with, other waves of different frequencies.

Phase velocity is the velocity of propagation of a uniform plane wave, given by (a) the product of the wavelength and the frequency divided by (b) the refractive index of the medium in which the wave is propagating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back