Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use a 10bit ADC with a higher resolution one like a 12 bit ADC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yalda_1749

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I use a 10 bit ADC (like one in AVR uc)with high resolution like a 12_bit ADC?pleaz help me,thanks

Re: ADC

Hi Yalda,
The short answer is, you can't. You can make it seem like more bits by oversampling, but that will introduce errors as well. The best thing to do would be to add an external ADC, like LTC1298 which interfaces with SPI (3 lines from your micro.) Hope this answers your question, but if you have more, just ask.
Best wishes,
Robert

Hi Yalda,
You asked for more info, and I'm giving it here, in the hope it will help others, as well. Basically, using the LTC1298 involves this:
(1) Activate CS by taking it low.
(2) Send (shift out) configuration bits to the LTC1298.
(3) Read (shift in) the 12-bit measurement from the LTC1298.
(4) Deactivate CS by taking it high.
The data sheet show these processes, and how to wire it to your controller. You should download the data sheet for the LTC1298 and look through it. You can find it here:
https://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=H0,C1,C1155,C1001,C1158,P1445,D2760
What language are you using to program your micro? I'm not too familliar with the AVR, I'm more into PICs, and it has been very easy to use this chip with PIC.
Hope this helps, but if you have more questions, just ask.
Regards,
Robert

yalda_1749,
You can get more resolution by adding noise to the analog input, and taking the average of multiple samples of the A/D output. Keep in mind, however, that this technique improves the resolution only, not the accuracy.
Regards,
Kral

ADC

u can go for 8 bit also.10 bit is nearly 10-15 times that of the 8 bit.

ADC

use mcp3201 simple and cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back